Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
msmarion_gw

What lighting do you use in your sewing room?

msmarion
15 years ago

I'm in need of new lights for my sewing table. The plastic brackets for the ones I have have dried out and I can't seem to find a name on them to locate new ones.

I'm considering an Ott but not sure which model. Maybe there is something better than an Ott.

Comments (9)

• teresa_nc7
    15 years ago

I have a small Ott light to shine light right on the throatplate area of my machine, then there is the light on my machine, then there is the overhead lights w/ fan....oh...and two great big windows with my sewing table pushed up against them. You can never have too much light!

The Ott light travels to the living room when I'm doing hand work. It also travels to the mountains and the beach for quilt retreats.

Teresa

• kathyg_in_mi
    15 years ago

I love my Ott Lite! Mine is a floor lite, the base is well weighted and the neck can be twisted to get the light where you want it. Absolutely love it. They do come in different wattages, I have an 18W, don't know if I would like one with less wattage.
    I've heard people say that they don't like the one that sits on the table, takes up room and could get knocked over.
    DS bought one for DDIL for Xmas, she really liked mine.
    DH uses it for looking at coins.

Here is a link that might be useful: Ott Lite 18 W

• kathi_mdgd
    15 years ago

I have the same one as Kathyg,and i also have the table top one also.
    Kathi

• msmarion
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Thank you ladies. 18w it is. I knew I could count on the ladies from GW to get an honest reccomendation! Hope the sale lasts a while.

• pipsy
    15 years ago

Before you spend a lot of money on an Ott light be aware that you pay a lot for the name. Check out your local lighting shop and ask what they have which is similar to Ott lights. You can probably get a similar lamp for 1/5 the price. I purchased a bulb replacement for my Ott light at our lighting shop and could not tell the difference in the colour which Ott lights advertise as best. Also, check out Costco. I personally rarely use my floor stand Ott light (purchased for $25 at Costco) as I have a halogen lamp in my sewing room as well as rather poor overhead light with a fan. I also have the small Ott task light ($10 Costco) which I use constantly focused somewhere or other on my machine or on handwork I am
    doing.

• msmarion
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Thanks Pipsy I'll check the lighting store. Never thought of them as a source. There are no Costo stores close but there is BJ's and Sam's.

• Marilyn Sue McClintock
    14 years ago

I have one large Ott floor lamp and I also have one similar to the Ott that I bought at Big Lot's and I think I like it better. I think I only paid like $20 and they came with an extra bulb when I got it. At the time I thought they were so nice, I bought each of my daughters one and I got another for my bedroom and one for my husband. He uses his to look at his coins.

Sue

• lizzie2
    14 years ago

I have can lights in the cutting area. A normal floor lamb between the sewing machine and serger. The fabric store lets me take the fabrics outside to match/co-ordinate for colors so once that is done....I am ready to sew.

• jaybird
    14 years ago

I have a gooseneck desk lamp that shines on the machine bed. An Ott lamp that shines on the work from the left side, a window on the right side and the light that is on the machine. I also have a 4 arm chandelier in the room that has clear bulbs and puts out a lot of light.

Now, in my defense, I have just had cataract surgery on both eyes, so I need every bit of light that I can scare up (and I still can't match colors very well :^(