Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
sue7972

Good Housekeeper sewing machine

sue7972
15 years ago

Hi, has anyone ever heard of this sewing machine? I told a friend that I would look at it for her and see if I could figure it out. The threading looks pretty straightforward, but I'm not so sure about the bobbin winder. Any help is appreciated. I have searched the web looking for manuals or something, but so far nothing except other people looking for directions :)

Sue

Comments (10)

• damascusannie
    15 years ago

I collect antique sewing machines, but couldn't find a listing for a "Good Housekeeper." Can you post pictures?

Annie

• sue7972
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Yes, I'll have my DH help me hoist it up on the table (it weighs a TON!) this week and take some pics.
    Sue

• budster
    15 years ago

Pictures will be a definate help, perhaps someone else has a machine, not of this make, but similar and can help you with threading and such. Looking forward to seeing your machine. Budster

• sue7972
    Original Author
    15 years ago

OK, here she is! The motor runs, but the needle won't move. I've oiled everything and now I'm letting it sit. It looks pretty clean. The small knob upper right will pull out, move in, but won't turn. The larger knob to the left won't turn. The two buttons on the base plate say up and down.

Any help or direction you can give me will be really appreciated. If I can get this up and running I'm going to be teaching a 12 year old girl how to make curtains for her bedroom on her own sewing machine.

• budster
    15 years ago

Do you see how to wind the bobbin? I think it goes from the lower spool holder through the little silver tension disk (or else its a screw only) on the lower right and then up to the bobbin which is placed on the holder....you loosen the middle disk of the larger fly wheel and push down the lever where it says PUSH. I assume this because of the spool holder and it's position on the lower part of the machine. I think the UP DOWN is for the feed dogs....watch and see if the little teeth under the throat plate go down or not. The small knob could be your reverse button when you want to back up the sewing. I am sorry I don't know how much sewing experience you have but it seems from the overall look of the machine it should have a fairly similar model made by someone else.....As for the needle not moving.....make sure things are tight (but not so tight you can't budge the disk in the center of the handwheel....you loosen the inner disk to wind the boobins). Maybe someone wound a bobbin and didn't tighten the disk back up. Loosen and tighten all the knobs and see what happens.

• sue7972
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Budster, thanks! Actually I have quite a few years of sewing experience, but not so much with a variety of machines. I didn't think of the up down button being for the feed dogs (I guess 40+ years didn't teach me anything LOL). I'll try all your suggestions tomorrow.
    Sue

• budster
    15 years ago

The up and down might also release the throat plate. There could be other throat plates for mending etc.

• marcieventre
    8 years ago

Don't know if you're still in possession of this but I had the EXACT MACHINE & LOVED IT! Email me if you might be looking to sell it: marcieventre@gmail.com

• Gina Powell
    8 years ago

I have an 805b. They are fairly easy to use and very difficult to clean. If she finds parts sticking let me kno. The bobbin is underneath and clicks into place but watch what u are doing because it can click the wrong way to, there is a groove under it. The winder is the wheel on the right. Turn to far right silver wheel backwards usually until it disengages, put ur bobbin on and push down. It'll eventually grab it. The thread should also be around the bottom tension thingy. Lemme know if you need help. .

• Jean Prinkey
    7 years ago

Have. A. Good house keeping. Super. Dig zag. J-a38. Don't. No. How. To. Thread. It. Nthread. Keeps. Breaking. Can. U. Help. Me