Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
bayareafrancy

The machine I want has no pressure foot adjustment????

bayareafrancy
14 years ago

Hi all,

I'm pushing for a new sewing machine for Mother's Day. I have a vintage Singer Touch & Sew that I am very fond of, but it doesn't work so well for me or my young kids. We are beginners, and I think we need something that will make learning to sew more enjoyable.

The machine I have my eye on is the Janome 7330 (I searched this forum but found nothing on that particular machine). And let me assure you, the fact that it has that totally adorable, gigantic, yellow flower on the side has absolutely nothing to do with my longing for that particular machine. Nothing. Nada. Zip. Flower? What flower? I didn't even notice, I was so busy admiring the computerized stitches.

Soooo, I've read the reviews at the pattern review website. It looks like a great machine for us.

Except...

It has no pressure foot adjustment? Huh??? I just assumed that every sewing machine would have this. With my old Singer, I use the presser adjustment constantly! Constantly! I just don't know if I really trust a machine to do it for me. How does the machine know for sure whether I'm sewing 12 layers of denim , or 1 layer of silk organdy? I feel very nervous about this.

What do you think?

For 50 dollars more, I think the Heart Smart has the pressure adjustment. But...well...it just has too much red all over the machine. I don't care for the way it looks. I really prefer the color...*ahem*...yellow. And (whispering now) yellow flowers are particularly nice.

:-)

francy

Here is a link that might be useful: {{!gwi}}

Comments (12)

• budster
    14 years ago

Now this is where you go to the store and actually see the machine and sew with it. Could it adjust itself....being as it is all pretty and new? Call a Janome dealer and ask. It looks like a nice machine with enough stitches to keep you playing a long time. It is nice to see you back at the forum...we thought you'd become a "one hit" apron wearing wonder. So my advice, call a dealer and ask....how is the pressure foot adjusted on this machine.....I see you now with your "flower power" machine wearing your cupcake apron sewing up a storm....the question is....just what will you decide to sew up this time.

• msmeow
    14 years ago

My Brother machine (6 yrs old) does the pressure automatically depending on the tension setting, and even that can't be changed much...it's all computerized now.

Donna

• bayareafrancy
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Thanks for the info!

I have a cute, stretchy, empire waist top that I have been wanting to make ever since I finished the aprons. Problem is, I also have about 12 knitting projects in waiting, or on needles. Every time I finish a knitting project, I look at my old machine, and then I cast on a new sweater/sock/hat.

If I try to sew, the needles get jealous. If they get too upset, there could be an uprising. And they could poke me pretty badly. But the sewing machine is slow and heavy, and I can outrun it if it tries to come after me.

I need more time!!!!!!!!!!

:-)

francy

• budster
    14 years ago

Time is something we all want more of, to do the "fun" stuff like knitting and sewing. Mind you sewing machines are tough to take with you should you decide to say, go to the beach or sit in the sunshine on the patio...knitting is much more friendly that way. Sewing machines like to be set up somewhere looking self important....people walk by and think....ah someone is very clever in this house and working on some creative idea! Knitting needles like to hide in my house, down between cushions and go into attack mode when someone settles down to rest. I can understand your problems......get yourself that new machine (with the nice flower to inspire you) and really have your girlfriends talking when you set it up next to the T&S , they will think you are a regular pro.

• bayareafrancy
    Original Author
    14 years ago

LOL!

You are too funny budster!!! You have clearly been peeking over the fence again. I did indeed find a wee double pointed needle in the couch cushions the other day.

Several weeks back, I did make sort of a compromise with the needles and machine: I would use the machine when mainly stuck at home, and the needles when out of the house. Unless I'm knitting a sweater, which is too heavy to carry around. Except the sleeves. Unless they have more than one color, since I can't carry multiple balls of yarn in my pockets. But the T&S apparently wasn't satisfied with this split loyalty, and started getting fussier and fussier with her bobbin, satin stitch, needle position, and speed control. That, coupled with the fact that angry knitting needles can be quite intimidating when they form into groups and begin circling the sewing table, led me to zip the T&S back into her 40 year old naugahyde bag, and hide her under a side table. She occasionally muffles and grunts, but I just turn up the radio and keep walking.

Oh gad! I just realized she will be furious if she finds out I have been looking at pictures of provocatively posed Janomes online. My goose is cooked! California is a joint property state, so she will be entitled to half of my stash!

I need a good lawyer...

francy

• budster
    14 years ago

Do not fret Francy, do as I say and set up both machines (like you have already convinced your DH YOU need this new flower power machine -- what world can do without buttonholes? Tell him it will expand your exploration into the sewing world.....things with buttonholes! Think of the money you will save him -- shirts, blouses, coats, things NEED buttons and buttonholes..and so you NEED the fancy floral machine!! You'll save millions...and your children will not have to wear things held closed with safety pins. Set the new machine next to the old T&S, let "the younguns" do straight stitching with the T&S and you will zip along with fancy stitches galore and be done in half the time. The T&S will still be feeling "material worthy" and not abandoned. Perhaps it might smarten up and think.....hey there's a new kid in town! Just as long as she is on display and out in the world, vice back of the garage or closet hidden from prying eyes. Ah yes, and think of the quality time spent with the children as you sew (and rip out) side by side.....you need to get that new machine, what kind of a mother are you??? No no excuses....rush to the car and get to the sewing machine store......take your Hello Kitty loving friend with you. Show her you know your machines and what can a cat do any self respecting flower can't? These and other deeper questions must be pondered. The knitting needles will be clicking about this decision for ages so perhaps treat them to some lovely soft yarns to curl up next to. There's a thought. Budster (full of thoughts and sound advice!)

• jaybird
    14 years ago

You two need to go into production...you are better than a TV show!!!
    Good for you both, the world needs a lot more fun in it!
    (and sewing machines with yellow flowers, but don't tell my 40 year old Stradivari that...she'll faint!!)

• bayareafrancy
    Original Author
    14 years ago

OMG!!!!!

I would have replied sooner, but this post had me laughing so freaking hard that I lost consciousness for a week!

I awoke today in a puddle of drool--Mother's Day--to find no Flower Power waiting for me.

:-(

However...

TheHusband is out of the house (I made him take the boys to the playground so I could knit in peace for a bit). My sewing machine store is closed today, but I do have access to TheHusband's credit card number. If I buy online, I can get a great price, free shipping, and no tax. But I can't try it out first. Why do I need to try it first, since I don't know anything about sewing anyway?

Should I??

(I hear the T & S snickering at me from within her aging naugahyde bag.)

• plants4
    14 years ago

Hey bayareafrancy, if your ears are burning it's because I just posted a reference to your kitchen cabinets on the Kitchen forum! Your combination inset doors and lipped drawers is one I'm still attempting to replicate....I hope you are well!

• budster
    14 years ago

how Miss Francy lost consciousness......she banged her head on an open kitchen cabinet when she straightened up after petting her little lost T&S which is obviously cowering under a table. Has she actually regained her senses? Did she buy her flower power machine - was it on-line in the dead of night or did she brave the forces of nature and drive to the store for a test run? Hummm I smell a burning of plastic here.....the credit card is hot! I just bet she found some fabulous fabric as well. What do you think people?

• bayareafrancy
    Original Author
    14 years ago

I've got his credit card!!!!! Clutched in my sweaty palms right now!!!!

I'm offering bribes to my 5 year old to behave his hyper self in the shop so I can try the machines.

The owner (via email) also recommends the Janome 2010 which is basically the same except:
    1. way more decorative stitches (which I just can't imagine I could need)
    2. fewer (surprise?) buttonholes--3 vs 6
    3. 50 bucks more

Also, he likes it because it DOESN'T have...um...graphics. So if I go for the Flower Power, I must pretend like I don't care about more decorative stitches, and I need the 50 bucks for fabric, etc.

Do I need all those decorative stitches? I'm not a FancyPants kinda gal.

francy....not fancy

• budster
    14 years ago

Do I need all those stitches.......hummmmm. Personal choice, but one wonders EXACTLY what you might sew using so many more fancy stitches. More buttonholes.......and how many times will you be doing buttonholes....what is the difference - the type of buttonhole one guesses...really is this just to get you to spend more? Remember all the extras are not extras if they don't get used and fifty bucks is a whack more fabric.......oh the dilemma of it all........tell you what go whack your head on the cabinets again and then decide. Did you bribe said 5 year old with "car fabric"? or "Lego patterned" or something close to his heart...super hero....Thomas the tank engine???? I see how your evil mind works...."Listen darling if you behave and let mommy play with the nice machines she'll let you pick out some lovely fabric just for you.....and she'll make you some nice Jammies, or a pillowcase and we won't tell daddy.....it'll be just our secret". You see I can spy right into the kitchen from over the fence -- hey open those curtains!! Budster in wonderland