Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
kathielo

Touch & Sew after the repair

kathielo
15 years ago

I just got my Touch & Sew 620 back from the repair shop after having two gears replaced. I mentioned in my other posting that it was working but is quite loud. So I got back to my project and now it decided to go haywire again.

I am now trying to sew on some nylon fabric, the kind windbreakers are made from and I am having a terrible time. I don't know if it is the machine, the fabric or just me. I'm under a deadline, of course, and nothing is going right.

Anyway, I tried changing needles, different sizes, different types (ballpoint, etc.), different size stitches and I've adusted the tension because I am getting little loops on the top side of my stitches. I can pull the line of stitches out with one pull. I've rethreaded several times but still the stitches pucker the fabric and get the loops on top. The bottom stitches seem fine. Does this fabric require special handling. Maybe my machine just can't do it?

Does anyone have any suggestions? Is this something I can adjust myself or is my machine still not working properly?

I tried to sew a sample on my Athena and it seems to work better on that machine. So I may have to finish my project on that one. But I was wondering if anyone else has experience with this type of fabric or is my machine still out of whack?

Any suggestions? Thanks, Kathie

Comments (4)

• debs3
    15 years ago

Couple of questions.

Is the nylon fabric also rubberized?

What thread are you using?

Do you have some sharp/denim needles to try?

• kathielo
    Original Author
    15 years ago

debs3, no the nylon fabric is not rubberized. It is just thin and I think water repellant. It was a remnant I found at Joanns so I am making American Girl doll clothes from it.

I am just using regular all purpose poly filled thread...nothing special. I wouldn't have thought to use denim needles, thinking they would be too heavy for such thin fabric.

Anyway, I was determined to figure this thing out last night so I checked everything again, rethreaded, checked the bobbin and there in lay the problem. The bobbin case was quite loose so I tightened the small screw that was on the case. I remembered the repair man telling me loops on the bottom is the upper tension, loops on the top is a bobbin problem. So after I tightened the screw, it seems to be working better although it is still quite loud. I am hoping it is just the new gears breaking in. I am going to call the repair man tomorrow since he only works 3 days a week just to verify the noise.

Thanks for your help. Kathie

• debs3
    15 years ago

The replacement gears for the older Singer make more noise than the originals, probably always will.

It sounds like you have the tension figured out. I am surprised your repairman didn't already have that balanced.

I hope someone who has actually sewn this type of fabric will offer some assistance. I would suggest you try a Schmetz Microtex size 80/12 needle. The Microtex needle has a sharp point like the denim needle. I think your tightly woven fabric may benefit from the piercing power of a sharp point needle vs a universal point needle. A universal point is a compromise between a sharp and a ball point. Note, this fabric may also cause your needle to become dull more quickly.

I hope you are happily humming along.

• debs3
    15 years ago

Regarding thread, I would suggest you try Mettler Metrosene polyester thread. It is stronger and more consistant than Dual Duty, which is cotton wrapped polyester. My second choice if you cannot find Metrosene, would be Guiterman.

Sponsored
Custom Home Works
Average rating: 4.6 out of 5 stars10 Reviews
Franklin County's Award-Winning Design, Build and Remodeling Expert