Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
nccmama_gw

adding fabric to bottom of tied-back curtains

nccmama
15 years ago

Hi everyone,

I'm not really a sewer, but I have a friend who can help me with a simple (I think) project, but I need some advice. I have a very tall window in a cathedral ceiling room. The ceiling height of this room is all the way to the second story, and the window is almost as tall, too. In order to give some privacy, but still let in some light, I used some window scarves, sewed a rod pocket, and hung them like curtains using tie backs at about 5 feet off the ground to hold them back. I never undo them, since I like the look of them being tied back, and there are wood blinds on the bottom half of the window for privacy. The scarves were actually a few feet too long for this application, so I just let them puddle on the floor, and it looked great. Well, my cat was having some bladder issues, and she decided to use the puddle of curtains as her new personal litter box. Augh! I really like these curtains and don't want to have to start completely over. So, what I did was just cut off the fabric at the bottom about a foot above the soiled area, and I got them dry cleaned in a special solution for pet stains. I haven't hung them back up yet, because I'm just not sure how to make them look good again because now, when they are hung, they will be a foot or two above the floor, which, obviously, would look silly. So, I thought that I could add a band of contrasting fabric to the bottom to make it nearly touch the floor and look like I planned it that way all along.

My dillemma is how to attach the fabric, since the curtains are always going to be tied back. Do I cut the sheers straight at the bottom and add the extra fabric evenly accross? If so, then the curtains would be angled at the bottom when tied back. Normal? Or, do I add the fabric at an angle so that the bottom of the new band is even with the floor when the curtain is tied back? Is there a certain way that this should be done?

Thanks!

Comments (2)