Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
puzzlefan

Sewing Machine Repair Manuals or Books

puzzlefan
15 years ago

The one nice thing about the older non electronic sewing machines is there relative standardization. It was easy to replace a belt, check timing, etc. Not so with the new electronic machines. Although I repair computers for a living, I can not even figure out how to disassemble my Viking 400. I have seen some books advertised for repairs but none of them list the type or the brand of machine covered. Has anyone purchased a repair book that covered the newer electronic models?

Comments (4)

• teresa_nc7
    15 years ago

There may be a good reason why there are no books for the computerized machines.....we shouldn't be tinkering with these machines unless we have been trained by the companies who make them.

I once dropped a needle down the throat plate of my Viking and could not get it out on my own; had to take it to my dealer to retrieve it. Who in their right mind would want to ruin these machines that cost us $$$$ bucks. If you take your 400 in once a year (or every 18 months depending on how much use it gets) and have the factory trained technician tune it up, you will have years of trouble free sewing.

• budster
    15 years ago

I have been waiting for someone to post an answer and list a book about repairing electronic machines. I understand why puzzlefan would like a book and also think teresa gave a good reply but still think it would be great if anyone comes across a good repair manual to let the rest of us know. It can't hurt to take a look at the book and decide for ourselves if we wish to attempt repairs on our own. It's the individual who has to live with the result of the choice. MHO only.....no offense to anyone.

• teresa_nc7
    15 years ago

Maybe if there were books for the Bernina, Viking, Elna, Pfaff, and other brands we would have heard about them? I've never seen a reference to a Viking Repair/Service Manual and I'm on my second Viking.

Now if I could just get my computer whiz son up to snuff with working on electronic sewing machines I'd be set and he would have a second career. LOL!

• ShanafromVermont
    12 years ago

I would love to find a repair manual for my Viking! I am having some issues with my machine and cannot find anything that might educate me on why my machine has failed. Although I am wise enough to not take an expensive machine apart, it would be nice to understand how jamming fabric and a broken needle could disable my machine, leaving me baffled, w/out the ability to finish my project and at the mercy of the repair shop.
    As nice as new technology is, the older machines allowed for problem solving and most often could be fixed with a bit of tinkering. They were not fancy, but basic operations had basic solutions.
    I have not even used the complex settings on my Viking Quilt Designer and yet it is the basic commands such as the foot peddle, leg and needle, all computerized, that have failed!
    The Ironic thing is that I have an old Vintage Singer from the turn of the century in my living room as a decor, I may have better luck problem solving how to use that at this point.
    With that said, I am fortunate to have a sewing machine, I could be hand stitching by candle light.