Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
2ajsmama

Why does my thread keep pulling out of needle?

2ajsmama
14 years ago

I'm so frustrated! I did a lot of practicing with my machine yesterday, no problem, just a bleached cotton/muslin scraps. As soon as I tried to use an old napkin that I didn't think was that much thicker, my thread started pulling out of the needle. Changed the spool thinking the old thread (stryofoam sppo) wasn't spinning freely, it worked for a little bit, but now the same thing is happening again. The tension is down close to zero, I can't adjust it much lower!

Comments (25)

• kathi_mdgd
    14 years ago

Try adjusting your tension up a little,and hope your new thread is not on a foam spool,those are usually those threads you get for 5 or 10 for a dollar and they are no good.Also change your needle,it may have a burr on it.Thread and unthread it again,perhaps you missed a step,easy to do,especially if you're rushing,not saying you are.Just some suggestions.HTH
    Kathi

• 2ajsmama
    Original Author
    14 years ago

OK, I tried using the plastic spools instead of my mom's old foam ones, I went slowly and it pulled out a few times but eventually was OK. Adjusted the tension to a 2.

I have some thread of my mom's that matches the fabric I want to use for cushions perfectly, I don't think she ever used it (maybe for hand sewing?) since the spool's not chewed up, I sure hope that doesn't give me the problems the white stuff did!

I kept adjusting the tension *down* the more I had the problem, guess I should have left it alone and replaced the spool first thing.

• kathi_mdgd
    14 years ago

I keep my tension set at between 4 1/2 to 5 for normal sewing.I have a viking Rose and it self adjusts.
    Good luck.
    Kathi

• shadylady2u
    14 years ago

Are you sewing and then it pulls out or does it pull out when you begin to sew? If it's when you begin, make sure you have enough thread pulled out to get you started.
    Otherwise, while using a good thread is very important, I'm not sure that would cause your problem. Your tension setting shouldn't have to be that low either. Do you have a presser foot setting? Maybe that's too tight? What size needle are you using? Maybe the wrong size. Try rethreading too, like kathi said.

• 2ajsmama
    Original Author
    14 years ago

I haven't touched the pressure foot setting, but I will try changing the needle - I used it to sew through sticky Velcro a few weeks ago, and while it didn't seem to give me a problem when I was using the black thread on the scrap fabric, once I switched to white thread (first a foam spool, then a plastic, and both near the end) it started pulling out soon after starting, not even catching the bobbin thread.

This is a cheap machine - Shark EuroPro 384. I've always (not that I sew much) sewn with the tension down around 3-4. Any more than that and I would break thread.

• oilpainter
    14 years ago

The sticky velcro is not meant to sew through. In fact it is not meant for sewing at all. It is meant for sticking on to metal or wood. You are lucky that all it did is gum up the needle.

I'm not surprised you had trouble trying to sew with the needle that went through that guck

• Marg411
    14 years ago

Are you starting every time with your needle at it's highest position? On most machines, if you don't, the thread will come out of the needle every time. It doesn't matter how long of a "tail" you have out for starting.

• mary_c_gw
    14 years ago

Actually, the surest way to not have the needle unthread itself is to hold both the needle thread and the bobbin thread tails as you start.

I never lower the needle by hand, simply not necessary.

I hope you changed your needle after your velcro adventure.

• msmeow
    14 years ago

Before you sew with the old thread, make sure it's still good. Unroll some and pull on it...if it breaks easily, throw it away and buy new thread. Thread can dry rot with age.

Donna

• nicole__
    14 years ago

I inherited my grandmothers shoe box of thread. :0) It's polyester, not cotton.....which is best. But.....it catches on the slotted spools,pulls then breaks! Since I'm going through 3-4 spools per upholstery project I'm putting up with it. I have to keep checking the spool to make sure the thread is still loose.....:0) I've purchased LARGE, cone shaped spools of professional quality thread for future projects.....:0)

• mary_c_gw
    14 years ago

If your thread is catching on the slot, turn the spool over! If the spool pin is upright that slot should be on the bottom. If the spool pin is horizontal, that slot should be to the back.

And if your thread is your grandmother's, you should probably toss it and get new.

• Marg411
    14 years ago

Yes, lower it by hand, I didn't make myself clear. BUT, before you lower it, make sure you have a "tail" of both threads, hang on to them with one hand, and lower the needle. If you don't start in that "upper" position before you lower your needle into your fabric, it will still unthread.
    Another thing to check, are you sure you have your thread through all the guides properly, and is your needle threaded correctly? Silly question, but easy sometimes to not get the thread caught in a guide.

• bgstock
    10 years ago

Finally, since I started using the hand held threader I was bringing the thread from the back to the front which is wrong. Use the threader so you use the threader from the front to the back. Problem solved after 4-5 hours.

• myclementine
    10 years ago

Do you know why but mine has been doing that as well. I also am having a lot of bunching under the fabric so the bobbin must be doing something crazy. I lowered my tension to 2 and I think it helped. I will try and hold both threads as I start.

What is the best thread to use? A girlfriend who quilts only uses cotton so I have been using that but I am new to sewing and wanted to ask here.

• myclementine
    10 years ago

Do you know why but mine has been doing that as well. I also am having a lot of bunching under the fabric so the bobbin must be doing something crazy. I lowered my tension to 2 and I think it helped. I will try and hold both threads as I start.

What is the best thread to use? A girlfriend who quilts only uses cotton so I have been using that but I am new to sewing and wanted to ask here.

• shadylady2u
    10 years ago

If it's bunching underneath, it's the top thread, not the bobbin, that's the problem.
    Adjust the top tension. Also, rethread your machine and make sure you're using the correct size and type of needle or try a new needle.
    I like polyester thread and prefer Gutterman. Whether your use poly or cotton, make sure it's a good quality thread and not the bargin no name kind.

• myclementine
    10 years ago

I need to learn more about tension.
    I went through my thread and some that are brand new mercerized cotton coats & clark pulled apart! What the heck???

• Debra W
    10 years ago

Another thing to check is to make sure your bobbin is in it's case in the correct direction, so that the thread is being pulled from the right way.

• Chi Chi
    8 years ago

it is the tension, both your top and bobbin tension. you need to adjust it. for example if you are using normal thread that sew find before, then once you change into thicker thread, and your thread would act up on you. you'd have to play with the tension, but if you have a drop-in bobbin, i suggest you don't play with your bobbin tension unless you have a extra one, always leave one with untouch setting, and use the extra one to play with your tension. if you don't have an extra bobbin for your drop in bobbin, then just get new thread. it's better to spend that extra few dollar on new thread. then spending hours playing with your tension settings. trust me. and thank me later. good luck. feel free to drop by my site. www.stitchcanada.com , www.sewinglife.info

• Chi Chi
    8 years ago

but your needle is important as well. if you just finish sewing through velco then i'm pretty sure your needle was damage. change the needle. if it doesn't help. then it's the bobbin. i meant the tension.

• Frances Pitts
    8 years ago

One way to rid a needle of the gunk that comes from self-adhesive Velcro is to remove the needle and clean it with alcohol. I found out the hard way about trying to sew adhesive Velcro. I used it because it would remain stationary while I sewed it.

• donnas_gw
    8 years ago

When my thread starts bunching up underneath, I find that the take up lever isn't threaded. Don't know why, but even though I start with it threaded correctly, the thread can come out of the take up lever.

• Hermione Ramsay Speers
    8 years ago
    last modified: 8 years ago

When The thread pulled out of my needle it got jammed on the tip of the needle and it's to close to cut. Might cut off the tip. What do I do? Please help.

• terribbff
    7 years ago

I just want to say I appreciate all the answers questions. It sure helps us all. Thank You

Sponsored
Dave Fox Design Build Remodelers
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars49 Reviews
Columbus Area's Luxury Design Build Firm | 17x Best of Houzz Winner!