Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
druidclark

Washing Drapery/Slipcover Fabric

DruidClark
14 years ago

First, thanks so much for the links to the various online sources for fabric. As usual, GW folks are very helpful.

Here's my question. I am newish to sewing and am planning on slipcovering my living room furniture (w/ the help of a very skilled seamstress friend).

I am seeking out fabric that I can wash, even if it says dry clean only. The reasons why are: two dogs, two cats, and two grubby gardeners.

So I found this Slubby basket weave on Denver Fabrics and it says 100% cotton, dry clean only. What I'm wondering is if it's cotton, why can't you wash it. Yes, it will wrinkle and fade, but that's ok w/ me.

Am I missing something, or have you folks actually had success w/ washing dry clean only fabrics?

Thanks

Here is a link that might be useful: Denver Fabrics Kauffman

Comments (4)

• pris
    14 years ago

My guess is, if it's 100% cotton and dry cleaning is recommended, it's not preshrunk. I've used this type of fabric in smaller projects and solved the problem by prewashing the fabric in hot water. You have to buy extra yardage to allow for the amount it will shrink. I don't know if I would attempt this on a project as ambitious as yours. Ask around and see if anyone else has experience with this sort of thing. That's a lot of work to put into slipcovers and not be able to wash them or to have them shrink up if you do. You could also buy a yard of the fabric and wash it several times to see what it does. You might not even like the fabric after it's shrunk as the look and feel will probably change.

• Marg411
    14 years ago

I agree with pris in that it's probably not pre shrunk, OR lots of drapery/upholstery fabric says dry clean because they know people want to keep that "new" look, and dry cleaning does this much better than washing.

I also agree, you could probably wash it to shrink it, and yes, just buy more fabric than you need. Now, if it has a shiny finish, you know washing will take that off.

I would shrink it in whatever water temp you're going to wash it in. I find cold water does just as good a job on most fabrics as hot. It doesn't set the stains as badly either, AND saves a ton of energy.

I have washed many "dry clean only", mainly woolens, some finer cottons, and a host of linen. I think that was the original intent of Woolite, if I haven't forgotten when it came out. It was advertised for washing wool.

• DruidClark
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Thank you. It does make sense to order a sample and see if it shrinks, etc. I would probably wash in hot. Normally, I'd use cold, but occasionally I use hot, so I guess worst case scenario first.

I saw a note in some book about prewashing, prewashing, prewashing, like 20 times to get the cottage look. I'm not that much into the wrinkly dinkly cottage look, but I think a small test sample is a great idea. I'll let you know how it turns out.

Thanks again.

• msmeow
    14 years ago

Another advantage of a sample is that you can see if it really seems sturdy enough for slipcovers.

Years ago I was at Calico Corners looking for fabric to recover a recliner. I asked a sales lady if a particular fabric would be suitable, and she looked down her nose and said "Not if you plan to sit in it!" I have never been back to that chain.

Donna