Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
barb_roselover_in

T shirt suggestions

barb_roselover_in
13 years ago

I want to make some of my own summer T shirts. Does anybody have any references as to knits only so that I might do this things the way it is supposed to be--like finishing the neck, sleeves and bottom and the best way to finish the inside seams. I do not have an overcast machine. Thanks for any help. - I would also like to have a source for the heavier cotton-poly knits. We only have a JoAnns here in town. Some of the knits I have seen seem to be only the single knits. Thanks. Barb

Comments (5)

• kathi_mdgd
    13 years ago

In the past i made lots of t-shirts,and when my boys were young i made most of theirs(45 years ago)At that time i only had a sewing machine,no serger and i used the zig zag stitch on the seams,and a twin needle to do the hems.
    Today however the t-shirt knit fabrics seem to be few and far between,at least here where i live.So if you find a source,please share it.
    We only have a joann's also and their knits are nothing to speak of,cheap quality etc.

Wish i could find the ones they use in factories,that would be great.
    Good Luck
    kathi

• noinwi
    13 years ago

Knits really are few and far between these days. I made a lot of my own T's in the 70s(showing my age). I've noticed that thrift stores around here usually sell older knits, sometimes a nice T-shirt knit pops up. Also fabric stores that sell mill ends usually have a good selection, Mill End Textiles is one, but I don't know where you are located.
    I've never had a serger, just various zig-zag and stretch stitches on my machines. They did a decent job on the seams, although not professional looking on the inside, but only I knew that.
    It's hard to find rib-knit these days also, except in just a few colors, so you would probably have to get used to using the T-shirt fabric for any neckbands. Just be sure to make your neckband slightly smaller than the neck opening and stretch to sew, so the band lays flat after sewing and doesn't "flop outward". I'm sorry I can't explain in better sewing terms...it's been a long time. I do remember "stitch in the ditch", so maybe you can look it up or someone more experienced(Oilpainter?)can explain. HTH

• birdtalker
    13 years ago

I started making knit tops of t shirt material a couple of years ago and I started out with a straight stitch and found it did not work well at all. even a narrow zigzag did not do well. A wider zigzag gave me the best results on hems etc. and does not show like I had worried about. I had terrible times with a neckband and so just went to turning under the material and zigzagging. Also I found I had NO luck with ballpoint, stretch etc needles, I went to a sharp needle and all flowed much better after that. Doesn't make sense but that is what I had. Would make a half a dozen more if I only had the time and space.

• oilpainter
    13 years ago

I did make t-shirts once upon a time. The fabric was cheaper than what you could buy a t-shirt for. Now You can buy good t-shirts fairly cheaply especially if they are on sale. I think that is why you find very few t-shirt knits in the fabric stores.
    I think, before you buy material you should cost out the price of making one compared to buying one. You should also practice making seams and hems on an old t-shirt to see how your machine would sew them. Your machine has to have a perfect stitch or you will get stretched out wavy seams.

If you go ahead after you have done the practicing. Read through the link below. Pick a fabric that is not super stretchy. Always cut the fabric so the stretchiest part goes around you not up and down. Some use lastin elastic to give stability to places like shoulder seams. Cut the neck band and sleeveless bands so it is the least stretchy like the length and slightly smaller than the opening. It will have enough stretch to go around curves but won't stretch out of shape and will lie flat.

I would also google sewing with knits and see what tips you can pick up

Here is a link that might be useful: sewing with knits

• jaybird
    13 years ago

This fabric source has lots of cotton rib knits.
    I have done business with them for several years and have no complaints. I have NO other ties to them!

Here is a link that might be useful: link

Sponsored
Traditional Hardwood Floors LLC
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars2 Reviews
Your Industry Leading Flooring Refinishers & Installers in Columbus