Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
tilapia_gw

Cat attacked my bed sheets..

TILAPIA
18 years ago

result: a huge gash in my super expensive sheets that I loved. I don't have a sewing machine so I tried to use needle and thread but the edges of the tear are frayed and the high thread count makes the needle insertion point look obvious so the stitch just came apart. What's the best way to repair the tear? I'd like to take care of this before my husband gets home so that the cat won't be in too much trouble. Thanks!

Comments (8)

• loganhogan
    18 years ago

You really need a machine to fix it and it will be obvious that it has been repaired. This is called darning. You could also put fray check to the raw edges where you hand sewed it, and this would keep it from fraying more, but again you'll have to fess up to the hubby about the cat.
    Good Luck!
    Susan in Bama

• socks
    18 years ago

Dry cleaners usually have tailors and you might fine one willing to fix it for not too much money.
    Sorry about the cat's work.

• cherylnsw
    18 years ago

Stitching alone won't work on sheets - they experience too much pressure - more on bottom sheets, with out some sort of backing - iron on patch, the stitch points would just tear and make more holes. Unless you know how to darn properly. My most successful sheet repairs have been done with iron-on patches, hand stitched around the edges. You can buy powder for invisible mending - it still needs a patch though. If the tear isn't too big, a small dart of fabric could be taken as long as it doesn't take too much fabric and is on a top sheet - too much pressure for a bottom sheet, I think.

If it's all too hard, just make the bed with the tear on your dh's side near the end of the bed. Grab a piece of paper and carefully get into your side first, as he gets in tear the paper under the covers and then blame his toenails. *insert evil laugh here* ;)

• sherwood38
    18 years ago

Depending on what part of the sheet the tear is(?)I would do an embroidery (by machine) if it was in an awkward place do several to make it look planned. If the sheets were very expensive and worth saving, you might ck with your local sewing machine shop and see if they know of anyone that would repair the sheet...?

Pat

• joelke
    18 years ago

The machine embroidery is the very best idea. I would try to find a person to pay to do it and it would add to the sheets instead of looking exactly like a repair. You could decide on a rose or something and have it done to the pillow cases also to look like it was supposed to be there. Good luck.

• nannapoo
    18 years ago

What a clever idea.........embroidery over the patch! I never would have thought of that. My male cat tried to climb up the side of my bed and fell ripping my fitted sheet as he hit the floor. I must get them out and try that. They were very inexpensive but I had sewn on a pretty edging and some lace to make them look more luxurious & feminine. Now I think some embroidered roses are also in order here.

Thanks for the tip.

All the best,
    Nanna

• jeannerja
    18 years ago

can anybody give me the name and address of the invisible repair powder for fabric please, as in this case its the only answer to my problem...thanks

• ell_in_or
    18 years ago

Invisible repair powder? Sounds like Pixie Dust! LOL!

Here's a link to some though. YOu'll have to scroll about 2/3 down the page to get to it.

http://www.caswellplating.com/permatex/permrepairprods.html

Sponsored
Kuhns Contracting, Inc.
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars26 Reviews
Central Ohio's Trusted Home Remodeler Specializing in Kitchens & Baths