Return to the Sewing Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Having trouble picking header for lined drapes

Posted by Cayosusa (My Page) on
Thu, Apr 18, 13 at 11:35

I am not a sewer but I can sew a straight line. I bought inexpensive drapes which I have to line. I am taking out all the seams to do this. The room gets blaring morning sun. I want to hang the drapes with rings so they can be pulled open and shut easier. The drape lenth is 110".

Don't know if I will use pins and rings or just sew the rings on. Comments would be appreciated.

I have chosen to line them with blackout lining - which is a bit thick.

My question is about the header. I have to take it out to remove the tabs. It is just once folded over and sewn. Since I want to do rings and they will pull more, will the header be sturdy enough folded over once with the blackout lining inside? Will it be too sturdy and not drape off the rings nicely.

I will definately appreciate any and all comments and suggestions. Thank you.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Having trouble picking header for lined drapes

You may want to get some buckram to add stiffness and strength to the top hem. Also, you may want to just sew it flat and use the curtain rings with alligator clips.

Here is a link that might be useful: curtain rings with clips

o

If you are a non sewer I would leave the curtains alone and just sew or buy blackout liners and hang them together on the rod with separate clip on rings. When you hang them put the ring from the curtain on first and then the one from the lining and so on all across but put the last 2 from the lining on at the end and then the last one from the curtain.

Put the side with the 2 blackout rings on the ends and the end of the curtain rod with 1 blackout end in the middle of the window. Doing it this way you avoid all the headaches of trying to sew them together and you can be sure the lining won't pull on the drapes. Putting the rings of the blackout inside ensures that it will not show.

If you have the material for the blackout lining then cut it an inch shorter in width and use only one ring on each end

o

An even easier way to line your draperies. Make panels of lining with doubled hem at top. Work button holes spaced approx. the lengths between your pleats across the hemmed top. Use drapery rods with hooks. Hang the panels by slipping buttonholes over hooks--then hang draperies on hooks. When you open and close, lining & drapery move together. You can get some slip pins to "tack" the fabric edges together so one doesn't drag behind. I read this tip many yrs ago, and have utilized it myself.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Sewing Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here