Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
donnar1957

Baby gift ideas

donnar57
15 years ago

My nephew is getting married next month - it was originally planned, then postponed, now rescheduled due to the arrival of a baby in September. So we're in the position of buying a wedding gift for May and baby gifts this summer or early fall.

I thought about sewing some things for the baby nursery this summer. The only thing I came up with so far, was one of those cloth balls made from scrap fabrics. (I found a pattern for same, online.)

Does anyone have any other ideas? It's been 20+ years since my kids were babies. (One is 22, the other is 21, and neither are married yet, thankfully!)

DonnaR/CA

Comments (5)

• kathi_mdgd
    15 years ago

You could do receiving blankets,hooded towels,burp pads,bibs,baby blankets.For later months when it's cold you could make this wrap thing,can't remember what it's called,but has a hood,(i think) and the sides are shaped and fold across the baby and the bottom folds up .Supposedly stays put better than a blanket tha always slides off.Just take a trip to the fabric store and look thru the pattern books,you'll see what i'm talking about and more.
    Kathi

• loganhogan
    15 years ago

Kathi has given you a ton of good ideas. Playtex makes a sippy cup you can put a monogrammed fabric insert into. Paci holders are also popular. They're made of ribbon, snaps and a mitten clip.
    Susan

• kathyg_in_mi
    15 years ago

Make flannel receiving blankets 45" x 45". DS just had a baby and his MIL made them some and they love them! They are great for swaddling. Knit blankets leave too much wiggle room.
    Kathy G in MI

• budster
    15 years ago

I love the I Spy quilts that others have made over on the quilt forum (check them out), even a smaller version would be nice for when baby is older and going in the car or out visiting.....I agree that receiving blankets are nice but making something for when baby is a bit older wouldn't hurt either IMHO. Budster

• scottymam
    15 years ago

You could make one of those pillows designed to go around a nursing mothers waist to support baby on, then it can double as a support for baby to sit up in, or lean across. DGD is nearly 2 and still uses hers to lay on while having a story read to her. You could also make the covers for them.

Covers to put in the cart at the store (keeps baby safe from everything from germs to rough edges).

When my kids were small I was given a "cover" to hold baby up in the high chair, it was shaped like a big T with long ties on the bottom end, they came up between the legs and tied at the back of the chair. (when kids got older I used it to "tie them in" big people chairs when we'd go some place with no high chair available.

Hobby Lobby is having a sale on Simplicity Patterns this week, 99 cents each, got several ideas in the book at WM, off to Hobby Lobby today, apparently WM no longer matches prices.

Have fun! Ellie

Sponsored
JuniperOats Studio
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars13 Reviews
Creating Intentional & Welcome Designs in Fairfax