Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
limowreck

Janome Bobbin Jamming... grrr

LimoWreck
17 years ago

Hi!

I LOVED my Janome... when it worked. I have the Janome 4618 Limited Edition Sewing Machine.

THE BOBBIN KEEPS JAMMING!!!! GRRRR.

I used this machine for about a month when the jamming problem started. At that time I took it to a Janome dealer and they said my tension was set too high... fair enough.

However, now it won't go 2 stitches without jamming. It's supposed to be jam-proof. I have adjusted the tension. I have changed the thread, needle (janome brand), fabric. I have re-wound the bobbins. I have cleaned the thing out a million times.

I took the plate off the bobbin area to watch what was happening. The removable plastic housing for the bobbin won't stay in place. It turns as the machine begins to stitch. Sometimes the needle comes down and actually hits the plastic housing (there are little holes visible where the needle has been hitting it).

Is this something I can fix? I hate to take it back to the Janome place. It is far from my home. I have an infant I would have to take with me. They already think I am a moron and I am sure this time it will cost me money.

This machine only worked for a month before this started happening.

Any ideas?

Comments (24)

• budster
    17 years ago

This is a new machine, and without seeing it for myself, something is out of alignment somewhere, if you are getting marks from the needle in the housing, and the housing moves, then is there any little lever that snaps down to hold the housing in? (I am just thinking of my own machines which have a lever device - off to the right that snaps down and over the bobbin housing to hold it in). See if anything looks like it might move to snap down and hold the housing firm. If you really can't figure it out take it back and have them show you.....doesn't matter how many times you go back (too heck with them!) keep going until you feel comfortable with your machine....you paid good money and deserve service.

• stitchntime9
    17 years ago

I am presuming you are fairly new to machine sewing as more experienced machine users know how to resolve them and standard with any sewing machine. Your machine manual has a troubleshooting guide and illustrations. Sewing tension is usually around 4 and a preset on my Kenmore that rarely has to be changed more than a nudge up or down.

Whoever took the bobbin case out didn't put it back in correctly and why it turns. I have a Kenmore made by Janome and a Singer CE200 with the same type of case that does the same thing if you don't insert the bobbin case correctly. Before you put the bobbin in, turn the handwheel a full turn to make sure the bobbin case is in right and doesn't move...not in correctly and it turns, reinsert and keep testing. While you have the case out, check for threads from the previous jams that might be complicating matters.

No machine is entirely jam proof when it is user induced and have induced some whopper birdnests of my own. For what may be causing the jam, check your stitch length as you might be too short, have the correct needle for the fabric being used (symptom of knit fabric and not using a ball point needle), longer thread tails underneath the presser foot going all the way back to the machine, and the fabric is perpendicular to the back of the foot when you start a seam (prevents fabric getting sucked into the needle hole).

You will need a new bobbin case and are relatively inexpensive. Because your machine is still under warranty, it is a good idea to either take it back to a Janome dealer or a local sew and vac authorized to work on Janome machines. Now that it's spring, your baby might enjoy the ride and all the interesting sites around or get a sitter or dad babysit and enjoy the day as time off for yourself.

• birdtalker
    16 years ago

I have that model and when it jams I have to check under the bobbin case, lint collects there and makes it jam. But I agree that you should go back and have them look at it, if they are reluctant take it to someone who fixes janomes, It could be something simple.

• shadylady2u
    6 years ago

You know this thread is 10 years old, right?

• User
    6 years ago

@shadylady2u

Unnecessary comment. Regardless how old the thread is it may help someone 10 years on - like tlg_5970's comment has just helped me as this is what had happened with my machine. So thank you tlg_5970 and to shadylady2u, think before you comment, right?

• Breanna Bradbury
    6 years ago

Yes! @tlg_5970 just helped me a ton! Thank you for your comment 10 years later! I can’t believe I hadn’t rethreaded my machine but I was so focused on it being an issue with the bobbin!

• Joni H
    4 years ago

Wow....here I am another year later and tlg_5970 just solved MY problem. Like Breanna, I was totally focused on it being a bobbin issue. Nope, the thread had popped out of the lever. I was so frustrated, I was looking at just buying a new machine. THANK YOU, @tlg_5970!

• tlg_5970
    4 years ago

I'm just reading this and Thanks ladies! glad to help. I just now solved another "bobbin" issue simply. Bobbin jamming, right up there in the aggravation department. At the End of a project my bobbin jammed and kept jamming. After taking out the housing and cleaning and everything it still was jamming. Hmm, I also noticed that to Me the top thread was too difficult to pull so why not? I put a new spool of thread on the machine and the darned problem was Fixed! The spool I removed was just about down to the last few yards so I have no idea why it suddenly hated this thread but who cares, I was literally at the last 10 minutes of sewing a project that I'd been working for three days. Sign of the times? I'm making Covid masks for a nursing home.

• Joni Hawkins
    4 years ago

I’m making masks too. I have not sewn any projects in probably 8 years. I was shocked that I had as much fabric as I did. Good to know what caused your most recent bobbin issue. Looking back, my problem was actually two years after the last comment. So that goes to show it doesn’t matter the time in which you respond. It might not have helped the first person who asked, but it sure did help the next three. 😁 Thanks again! Happy sewing and stay healthy. 🙏

• Georgina Sinclair
    3 years ago

Did everything initial writer did and after reading comments realised the machine was simply threaded wrongly. Nothing to do with the bobbin. Argh!

• donnar57
    3 years ago

I think this sums it up: If you think something is wrong with your machine, do this: 1) Take the thread off and rethread it. 2) Change the needle. You may have been using the needle too long and it has gotten dull, knicked or burred. 3) Take the bobbin out of the case, then reinsert it. 4) Make sure that the bobbin's thread and the top thread are of the same weight and type.

Donna

• HU-28447193060
    3 years ago

I'm SO glad this thread is still here, even after years! I had this exact same issue and the answer was exactly what tlg_5970 described; it was the take up lever! I'd done all as others suggested above, which by the way, are good ideas and should all be done, EXCEPT, in my impatient way, I didn't fully re-thread it, just re-threaded from the lower area to the needle. Re-threading would have fixed it, and I would have been on cloud 9, but I never would have known WHY it happened in the first place. But now I know. After reading all this, I went to my machine and checked the take up lever (had to use a flashlight, these old eyes, ha-ha) and sure enough, it was off the lever. After re-threading (thanks to all who suggested this) and making sure I threaded the take up lever, it worked like a charm!! So, yes, it can be as simple as re-threading, but is also very nice to know should it happen again that I'll first check the take up lever then go on to the other suggestions. As an aside comment, I DID read after this that certain Janome machines, not all, but certain ones (I have one of those) seem to have an issue with the thread slipping off the take up lever. So glad these comments were still here, it fixed my problem, all the suggestions were spot on, so thank you to ALL of you!!

• tlg_5970
    3 years ago

I love that I Still will save somebody a trip to the repair shop just by taking a moment to send out an FYI, so glad I did it.

• Aleida Solis
    3 years ago

Q? i have ja one HD3000 and my reverse will not work manually, will only work if I press reverse button. It works great for everything else. Any ideas will help. Please no sass!

• pj wall
    3 years ago

Just took my MemoryCraft Horizon 9450 in to the shop for 6th time in 15 mos!! Needle hits bobbin case, breaks needle, shears bits of bobbin case. This time a month post most recent trip to shop. I know how to change needles frequently, clear out dust bunnies, use recommended thread. My 80 yr old husband and I have loaded it into car and have driven over 1000mi and now are paying for repairs!

I just hope and pray Janome USA will do the right thing!

• HU-477576671
    2 years ago

I have a Memory Craft 9450 (Janome) and this problem started for me one week ago. I have tried everything but the bobbin case seems to slip out of place and the machine makes horibble noise and stops. i spent a lot of money on this machine and may end up going back to my 20+ year old Brother. i am taking it in for a checkup and possible repair. frustrating.

• Angie Curran
    2 years ago

I have a Memory Craft 6600 P by Janome and I have the same problem, i believe it is a defect in the machine, I have taken it in to be professionally repaired and the same thing happened again . the stopper spring becomes misaligned, if i press it back into back into place it will work for a while, but eventually it will slip out of place yet again. My cheap Brother sewing machine never had this problem. i think my next step is to see about replacing the entire bobbin holder and any parts that come near it. it is frustrating.

• HU-511489131
    2 years ago

I have the Memory Craft 6700P and it has been a nightmare with the same issue I’ve gone through 3 bobbin case holders and 1 repair. Brought it home and it did the same thing! I always rethread but I spend more time troubleshooting than sewing :( how is it a machine at this price point can be so incompitent?

• tlg_5970
    2 years ago

Yep. I bought the HD -3000 which has all metal parts and no computer functions for that reason. Have you made sure your sewing table is level?

• HU-511489131
    2 years ago

yup, used a level to make sure. that was actually the first thing I thought of. They tell me the timing is off but I cant keep bringing it back to be fixed (every week!)

• tlg_5970
    2 years ago

That's expensive! You've verified your bobbin and top stitch are equal? Does it do this no matter what thread you use? Can you return the machine? Ya never know, it could be a lemon. Don't blame yourself btw, it could just be a factory error in manufacturing. Women always blame themselves lol. If you buy a new machine don't forget to oil it before you first use it. They say "it's oiled" 99% of the time they haven't and it can lead to problems.

It's that little hole you see when you drop a bobbin in. Oh, do you have the right thread bobbin? They all look alike but there are different "model" types for bobbins. It'll be a litter like S or C and verify you've got what the mfgr says you need. Wouldn't it be nice if that was the problem? Keep me posted :D

• HU-511489131
    2 years ago

Every and any thread has the same effect and I am using correct bobbin. Its in again for repair, I’m going to mention the oil thing before I pick up.

If this issue happens again, I’m definatley going to inquire about an exchange. thanks so much for the input 👍🏻

• Melissa Kazak
    last year

I have a Memory Craft 9900 and it sewed for about a month. Then in the middle of an embroidery project the bobbin case popped out and I have yet to get it to work right again. I might get a couple stitches in and then the bobbin case pops out. I have countless times cleaned it, replaced the needle, bobbin case, rethreaded, new bobbin and still no luck. I have read the manual, watched the videos, even had a friend over that has a similar machine try to figure it out. Haven't taken it in for service yet. I've been so frustrated that I just put it away and used another machine. I was so excited about this new machine but it has given me more grief than any machine in my last 30yrs of sewing. Ughhhh.

Sponsored
NME Builders LLC
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars2 Reviews
Industry Leading General Contractors in Franklin County, OH