Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
mariahw44

ISO Chemo Cap Patterns

mariahw44
15 years ago

Do any of you have any pretty chemo cap patterns? I have several for crochet, but with the warmer weather coming, I wanted to make some that would be cooler and stylish and made with cotton or cotton blend rather than knit.

Thanks so much for any help or directions.

Comments (4)

• damascusannie
    15 years ago

When my daughter (22 at the time), was in chemo, she wanted watch caps. I knitted them in lots of different colors and patterns, including cables and lace-work. I'd find a lace or open-work pattern that I liked and just adjust the needle size to get a medium-sized hat. I'd knit one for Karen and one for the chemo clinic to give away.

Mariah, you probably already know this, but I know others will read, too: The main thing to remember is that the scalp gets very sore as the hair doesn't fall out as much as break off in the follicle and this makes the scalp very tender. It's crucial to make sure the yarns you use are soft, soft, soft! My daughter liked Caron best--I know it's a cheap acrylic but was very, very soft. Even though she was in chemo in the summer, she preferred this yarn to any other. If she got too warm, she'd wear a baseball cap or bandana, but I did make her one or two caps for "good" out of 100% cotton yarn, too.

BTW--She's in the second year of remission from Hodgkin's Disease and doing very well.

Annie

• kathi_mdgd
    15 years ago

I made my DIL bandanas to match her clothes,that i made also and she wore a straw hat over the top of them sometimes.Her co-workers thought she was starting a new trend.I also just made her cotton knit chemo caps that she wore around the house.She liked the bandanas better for wearing out.
    Kathi

BTW She's been in remission and considered cancer free for over 15 years now,She had brain cancer,then in 96 she had a brain aneurysm.
    Kathi

• mariahw44
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Thank you for your responses. I have a sister-in-law and a very dear friend both going through chemo right now, so wanted to make them something nice and cool for the summer months ahead. My husband is also going through chemo, but he's been mostly bald for years, so it doesn't bother him.

I'm crocheting some caps and working with a pattern for some out of fabric. The problem with fabric is getting the fit right - if it isn't stretch fabric (which I hate to work with). I'll let you all know if I come up with something good.

• msmarion
    15 years ago

Here's a link to a sight with knit, crochet and sewn caps.
    Hope it helps.

Here is a link that might be useful: Click here.

Sponsored
Hoppy Design & Build
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars9 Reviews
Northern VA Award-Winning Deck ,Patio, & Landscape Design Build Firm