Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
dody40_gw

Can't get the bobbin holder back in:

dody40
13 years ago

I have my dear deceased sister's sewing machine, and I am afraid I ruined it. It is a Singer 722, I believe made in the 60's. It is a great old machine, but I don't have the instruction manual for it.

It has a bobbin that you fill without taking out of the machine, and I tried to do it and screwed it up. I could not get the bobbin out, so I ended up taking the bobbin holder out, figuring I would give it a good cleaning at this time.

To make a long story short, I cannot get the bobbin holder back into the machine properly. Can anybody give me any hints on what to do?

Thanks so much.

dody

Comments (22)

• kathi_mdgd
    13 years ago

I googled the 722 and couldn't find anything.Is there a way you can show us a picture of it,then maybe someone can help you figure it out.
    Kathi

• oilpainter
    13 years ago

It has to go in in a specific way and only a manual or someone who has one can tell you how to do it. It may be hard for someone to tell you too. You can get a manual on line at many sites and it will be useful for other things too. Just google Manual for Singer 722. It may cost a bit or maybe it is free to download, but you have to look

• dody40
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Thanks for the info. I had tried googling for the manual and have not been able to come up with it.

I will try to get a picture. To take it for repair, it is a 3 hour one way trip. We do live out in the boonies. I will ask my hubby to drive me out there, it would be a nice day trip.

Thanks again.

dody

• jaybird
    13 years ago

This is a good source for manuals. I have ordered from them and been quite pleased! HTH

Here is a link that might be useful: link

• kathi_mdgd
    13 years ago

I've checked several sites included the ones posted and i can't find a singer 722,is that # correct???
    Kathi

• dody40
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Sorry I did not get back to you sooner, but I have been laying patio block for my walkway. Ouch, boy do I hurt?

I took some pictures, and if you can find the correct manual for me, I would be so happy.

Here is the bobbin area:

Thanks, dody

• dody40
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Sorry, meant to post the picture of the whole machine. Here it is:

dody

• kathyg_in_mi
    13 years ago

The Singer 778 had the same bobbin case. Anyone out there have the 778 book and could copy pics and post or send to Dody?
    I used to have a 778, but killed it and gave away all parts and the book a few years back. Someone from THS got my book.
    Kathy G in MI

• kathi_mdgd
    13 years ago

OK ,make sure you have the needle at it's highest position,hold it by that latch thingy that is sticking up in the first picture,then drop it in,you may have to wiggle it around a bit til you hear/feel it catch,then put your bobbin in and lower the latch.

You may have to try a few time,but you'll get it if your patient.LOL
    HTH
    Kathi

• kathi_mdgd
    13 years ago

Here's a link where you can get a manual for the 778.

http://www.mastersewusa.com/infos_758_778.html
    Kathi

• kathi_mdgd
    13 years ago

SOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO did you get it figured out yet?????
    Kathi

• dody40
    Original Author
    13 years ago

No, not yet. I am going to have to take it somewhere. A little short of cash right now, so am going to have to wait a bit. The closest repair shop is 3 hours one way.

Thank you all for trying to help me. I had to take the bobbin case out of my other machine a while ago, and I had no trouble getting it back in, so I am thinking I may have broke something.

dody

• Marg411
    13 years ago

I finally wore out my Athena 2000, Singer, and it had the same bobbin, and case. You might try searching for that manual, and see if it has pictures.

I know I always had to hold my mouth just right when I put mine back in. Isn't that dark metal piece to the right the little latch that holds it in? I can't remember. If it is, it should move out of the way, then it fits that notch to the right of the "handle". I sworn dozens of time mine wouldn't go back, then I'd sit down and it would go together. I'd try again before I made a long trip.

• kathyg_in_mi
    13 years ago

My 778 was a bugger to get back in. I used to cringe when I knew I needed to give it a good cleaning and pull out the bobbin holder. It seems to me that it was just a try and try again method to getting it back in, and then POOF it would drop right in perfectly. And I had the book to look at!
    Kathy G in MI

• cathyry
    13 years ago

Hi, I am new to this site and noticed your post. I looked at my manual for the bobbin case replacement. I have a 600 but the picture in my manual looks like yours. These are the instructions it gives for replacing the bobbin case. 1. Turn hand wheel to raise take up lever to its highest point. Keep bobbin push button in sewing position. 2. Hold bobbin case by latch & w/latch to R of needle, slip case in position so that groove engages hook channel. 3. Twist case to L until latch is in center. Push bobbin bracket (black to r of case) to the left until it snaps down, locking bobbin in place. 4. Replace bobbin and snap down latch. replace throat plate and close slide plate. Hope this helps.
    The black bracket would have been moved to the right to remove the case.
    Cathy

• budster
    13 years ago

Do as kathi mdgd said. It takes a bit to get it back into position and you will hear a definate snap or clip. My singer has the same bobbin casing and it is a bit of struggle to get back into the right spot but it can be done. Budster

• dody40
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Thank you all, my sister was here yesterday. She is quite knowledgeable about machines, but not this type. She tried and tried could not get it in.

I will try these hints again. Sister also told me where there is a repair shop closer to home, only about an hour away. So one of these days I will have hubby drive me there.

I do thank you all for your help. I don't want to order the manual until I am sure the machine is able to be fixed as there is no manual for my exact machine that I could find.

dody

• dody40
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Yah, I found a repair shop right in Queensbury, where we go all the time. I am going to drop it off today. They will also give it a good going over.

Like I said before, this machine has special meaning to me as it once belonged to my dear sister that passed away from Cancer last August. I know how she loved this machine.

I do so thank everyone that has tried to help me. I will let you know how I make out.

dody

• budster
    13 years ago

dody40 - This interests me so much that I hauled out my old T&S and had a look inside. The bright silver bobbin case sits so that the upraised lever in your picture (the part that snaps into the bobbins center is at the 6 o'clock position. In your second photo there is a dark gray clip off to the right side - in my machine that part moves over and snaps down to lock the bobbin case into position. My machine is from the 600 series and is a bit different from yours but from what I see the bobbin casing etc. seem to be the same. I might also ask that you check to make sure your bobbin winder (the button with the bullseye is not engaged - push it to the right to see if it is completely unsnapped - also shove your slide plate into postion over the bobbin casing a few times just to make sure. I will ask my DH to copy how to replace the bobbin from my manual for you when he has a moment. Don't worry between us all we will figure it out - fingers crossed. Budster.

• budster
    13 years ago

Email me from my member's page and I'll send you what is in my manual. It has some diagrams that might help you. Budster

• dody40
    Original Author
    13 years ago

You all have been so helpful, and I was all set to take it to a pro to help me with it when I tried pushing that black thingy. Well, guess what, I busted it clean off. I am so discouraged with it that hubby has taken it to the 'free for the taking' shop. I am sorry to give up on you, but I can't put a whole lot of money into it to replace the part. If it was just a servicing it would have been enough, but I can't do anymore.

Thanks again.

dody

• budster
    13 years ago

Well if it's gone, it's gone. Too bad as it looked like a nice clean machine. Cheer up something else will come along. Budster

Sponsored
Closet America
Average rating: 4.8 out of 5 stars133 Reviews
Northern Virginia, Baltimore & DC Metro's Closet Organization Company