Return to the Sewing Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Renessiance Faire Hat for Man Pattern Needed

Posted by scottymam (My Page) on
Thu, Apr 3, 08 at 9:07

My grandson is going to be working in a food booth at a local Renessiance Faire, but needs a hat. i have made most of his costume, but hate the thought of paying $15 for a pattern for a hat, does anyone know of a site that may have freebie patterns, or have suggestions on how to make up my own?

Thanks for any help Ellie

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Renessiance Faire Hat for Man Pattern Needed

Forgot to say, it has to look "period", but also cover his head to meet health code...

o

The ones I've seen are basically just a bag with a band. Here's a site I found. I think that a person could rig something up pretty easily without a pattern since the only part that really needs to fit is the band.

Annie

Here is a link that might be useful: Ren-faire berets

o

Thankyou Annie!

o

Hi there,

I have made these before and they are easy peasy.
For the hat band, cut a piece of your fabric 4" in width by 21 1/2" in length. Fold this in half lengthwise. Once sewn to the hat itself, it will be approx 1 1/2" finished in width.

For the headcovering, (this will sound silly) measure "dinner plate + 2 1/2" for the diameter. So what I did was traced a dinner plate on a piece of paper and added 2 1/2" all around.

Sew the ends of your band together to form a circle and then you will need to pleat the headcovering to fit the band as you sew.

Hope that makes sense...

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Sewing Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here