Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
2ajsmama

Hi, new here with a question...

2ajsmama
13 years ago

I recognize a lot of names from Home Dec - hi! But thought I'd post over here since it's not decorating.

DD wants me to make some PJs for her, maybe some nightgowns (though she complains about nightgowns bunching up around her waist at night). I went to Walmart since they're the only "fabric store" in town and they didn't have any flame-retardant fabric. She doesn't like seams, elastics, or snug-fitting clothes. Lady at cutting table told me they didn't have any FR fabric, they use the "regular" fabric all the time. I bought the ends (clearance) of bolts, 3-4 yds each, of some cotton prints (one said "nursery fabric" though it was a kind of tie-dye, not a print, so I don't know what "nursery fabric" means). Also one silky polyester Chinese dragon brocade (it was $1.50/yd, got a 2-yd piece and a 3-yd piece).

Are these really safe to use? I'd use the poly only for PJs, not a nightgown. Is the cotton OK to use for a nightgown? Or only PJs? Also would try to modify the pattern I got from my aunt to do tapered legs and sleeves instead of bell-bottom type legs and ruffled long sleeves (since DD doesn't like elastic in sleeves anyway - she hasn't complained about elastic waists). Not snug-fitting but at least not flowing.

If these fabrics aren't suitable for sleepwear (I know they're not legal), then where can I find FR fabric? Joann's and Fabric Guru don't seem to have any. Thanks.

Comments (5)

• clergychick
    13 years ago

My guess is that unless your daughter is Cinderella, and spends a lot of time next to the fireplace (or the gas stove), the fabrics you've chosen will be fine.

• 2ajsmama
    Original Author
    13 years ago

We don't have FP, woodstove, gas, or any combustion in the house. So unless she gets her sleeve on the hot (glass) cooktop, which she is not allowed near while the stove is hot, or a light bulb, I can't see her catching on fire unless there's a house fire (from faulty wiring, overheated small appliance, dryer lint, starts in the garage, or basement where we store oil-based stains and varnishes?).

• sheesh
    13 years ago

Hi, ajsmama. I have often marveled that all the beautiful soft baby flannels in the fabric stores are all labeled "Not intended for children's sleepwear" Then what the heck is it for? Flannel curtains? I use all of what you've suggested for sleepwear for my gkids.

A few things you might think about: I sleep like the princess who felt the pea; perhaps your dtr does, too. By that I mean that I feel every wrinkle in the sheets and pjs, and I am very temperature sensitive. Polyester clothing is the most miserable feeling in the world against my skin. No rashes or anything, just a feeling like I'm wrapped in plastic, hot and cold at the same time. Natural fabrics like 100% cotton, silk, wool, linen do not have that effect on me. I don't know how old your dtr is, but perhaps she is "poly-sensitive" (I made up that term) just like I am. Believe me, if her clothing makes her twitchy or hot/cold, she's miserable. Natural fabrics are the way to go.

My two year old grandson had a zillion adorable fleece blankets and sleepers when he was born, didn't sleep for five minutes straight. His mommy tried everything, finally put him in cotton clothing on cotton sheets and the whole family got some rest. It might be worth a try.

I sound like an old bitty on the subject sometimes, but I wonder if some ADHD kids might just be sensitive to their clothing, not truly ADHD at all. What my clothing is made of makes a HUGE difference in the way I feel, so I am careful never to wear poly any more. For me, it matters.

Sherry

• teresa_nc7
    13 years ago

Mostly this Flame Retardent warning is for those people, commercial and home sewing who are making gowns and pjs for sale. If you are making your own daughter these items, then you are free to choose any fabric you want. The FR fabrics are mostly only available "to the trade" - manufacturers who make sleepwear.

• 2ajsmama
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Thanks teresa - I was wondering why none of the fabric stores or sites had it.

Sherry - there is definitely something to that - DD is over-sensitized (seams drive her crazy), DS is under- he doens't notice when his sweatpants are all twisted around, can wear one sock inside out, etc.) but they both have sensory issues. It can be mistaken for ADHD. I just thought she'd like the silky feel but I will have her wrap herself in the wrong side of the fabric before I decide to use it. She likes her nylon-blend PJs from the Disney Store, but that may be just b/c they have Ariel on them. We did have to put her in cotton when she was a baby, also had to put her in crib not bassinet b/c she's fling her arms out, hit the sides, and wake up. Then she had to sleep in a carseat for a while b/c of reflux...anyway, she's got a long history of "being rubbed the wrong way" (literally) by everything in life, and letting *everybody* know about it! Absolutely can't stand tulle netting not even the tiniest bit though she loves the look of tutus. I had to put a turtleneck under her Halloween costume. Tights are another issue.