Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
clairdo2_gw

baby boy gift

clairdo2
16 years ago

I'd like to make something for a boy that he could use for years (not too babyish)Something simple to make of course. Any ideas >

Claire

Comments (8)

• colleenny
    16 years ago

A Fleece blanket is nice. Fleece comes in so many different patterns. Colleen

• salena
    16 years ago

How about a patch-work quilt of 4-6 inch squares of different jean fabric. Either bought fabric or real jeans you cut up. Does MOM of baby want to donate any jeans of hers or dads? Maybe blue ticking for other side. Go for it.Salena

• budster
    16 years ago

A sewing group I work with has done a jean "log cabin" quilt that looks very effective with the dark and light jean fabric and a plain sheet backing. You could make a smaller version that would last for years. Budster

• kathyg_in_mi
    16 years ago

What about a flannel rag quilt? I made one (plaids) for my SIL, and then made one for DGS with Curious George on it. Now DD wants one made for DGD. I found pink fabric with monkeys on it. I picked up some pink and green flannels to complement the monkey fabric. Need to get a little yellow flannel and a sewing I will go.
    These quilts are so easy to make, and quick!
    Kathy G in MI

• susie53_gw
    16 years ago

A lady at my daughters work just had a baby and she also has a 3 year old. My daughter made both of them the hooded bath towels. She used a navy blue towel and a red wash cloth. Then she put their names in big letters in red on the back. They were so cute. A bunch of people wanted her to make them for them, too. Sadly she just doesn't have the time.

• igloochic
    16 years ago

I have an 18 month old, and many friends who sew (many in a group I used to crazy quilt with). I received SO MANY flannel and fleece blankets that I've forgotten where they all are. (They were given with love and accepted with love...and lost with love) :p Honestly, they were so sweet, but not the type of thing we kept. If you want to give something that will be kept and cherished (by the parents and the child) consider a quilt, cotton in relatively generic "kid" colors or colors that the family loves and make one, simple or complex, but a real quilt.

I have three. One was made for our cradle, kept in the formal living room, and while the cradle sits empty now, the quilt has a place of honor on the couches, which it was made to match.

The other was made in my color scheme for the bedroom (brown and gold...yes I know but I'm old and I wanted that!). It's got asian fabrics, monkey fabrics, heck several different paisleys, but it's in a lovely, yet simple pattern (three strips sewn together, alternating per square, dang what' the name of that...urrrggghhh anyhoo) we love that quilt and it will hold a place of honor in any of his rooms because it's a simple style and basic colors to blend with anything. It's also large enough for a twin sized bed throw.

And finally, the silk crazy quilt made to go in his room in autum colors. It will be framed and put into our master bedroom when we finish our remodel. When he's grown we'll pass it down. It's very special to us.

I did love every single gift I received, but a year and a half later, I can remember these three, more than anything, and they're still around all the time :)

(Whoever I've offended, please forgive me...just giving a recent mom's perspective) :)

• bostonrmb_sbcglobal_net
    16 years ago

Quilts do make a fabulous heirloom. I've never made one myself as you seem to have to know a few things outside of sewing just clothes.

Here's a free detailed pattern on how to make hooded baby towels if you're interested: http://www.breakitdowndesign.com/free_baby_hooded_towel_sewing_pattern.htm

Hope you find the perfect gift!

Jackie

• User
    16 years ago

I usually make new mothers a crib quilt and bunch of burp cloths. Imagine a dog bone shape of flannel with either two perpendicular bands sewn across each end or one long horizontal band of cotton fabric. Cute and useful.

If you're not sure what I'm describing, do a Google image search on burp cloths for ideas.

Just make sure to prewash flannel--it shrinks something fierce.

Here is a link that might be useful: {{!gwi}}