Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
adkgramma

coverstitch machines

adkgramma
14 years ago

I've been giving some thought to buying a machine that will do coverstitch, the stitch used in t-shirt hems (2 straight stitches on top and a coverstitch on the bottom). I know some sergers can convert but you can also buy a machine that only does coverstitch and chain and does not trim. Does anyone have any recommendations? Thanks

Comments (8)

• murphy_zone7
    14 years ago

for what it's worth...I would get a serger. It can do lots of things, lots of different stitches, as well as coverstitch: some can do coverstitch some not, so be sure to check out what machine can do what. I don't know anything about a coverstitch only machine, but I would not want something that only did one thing. I really like to multi- task myself, and want my "equipment" to do the same! With a serger, you can do the coverstitch when you need that, plus have the ability to do other things as well.
    I have an Imagine serger by Babylock and can not believe all I can do with that little machine.
    Just my opinion....
    Murphy

• sheesh
    14 years ago

I have a serger from 1976 that does not do a coverstitch, but I can fake it by serging the hem edge, folding up the hem and pressing, and sewing the hem with my sewing machine and a double needle on the right side of the garment. It looks exactly like a cover stitch from both sides, but it's a two-step process instead of one.

If you have a sewing machine but not a serger, I agree with murphy - get a serger if you can. New ones probably have coverstitches built in. BUT - You could probably zig-zag the edge on a regular machine, then turn it up and use the double needle for a pretty close approximation of a cover stitch.

Sherry

• adkgramma
    Original Author
    14 years ago

I do have a serger but it's older and doesn't have a coverstitch. I used to work in a business where I ran a commercial coverstitch,two needle hemming machine. Only recently did I find out that they're available for home use. I would consider a new serger with a coverstitch if it wasn't too hard to change. Murphy, how hard is it to go from serger to coverstitch? Thanks

• rannrich
    14 years ago

go to www.patternreview.com, there you will see lots of reviews with regard to all types of machines. I have 2 sergers, one that converts and one that doesn't and quite honestly I would prefer the separate cover stitch machine over the serger that converts.

• murphy_zone7
    13 years ago

Sorry...been offline for a few days and just now catching up.
    I don't know how hard it would be to go from serger to coverstitch. I only have a serger and have never used a coverstitch machine. I do know that some sergers have a coverstitch function and others do not.
    I was only suggesting that you look at a serger that does a coverstitch instead a coverstitch machine that just does coverstitch.
    To save some time...go to websites of serger manufacturers like Babylock, Janome, White, and others and get an idea of what machines will do a coverstitch and what machines won't.
    Or just do a google search for each type of machine and see what's out there....Good luck and happy shopping!
    Murphy

• adkgramma
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Thanks, Murphy. I thought your serger was one that did both serging and coverstitch. I've been doing my research and I'm going to look into a Brother 2340cv. It only does coverstitch,is about $300 and has good reviews. I'm a little hesitant about buying online without actually seeing and trying the machine so I'll see if I can find a Brother dealer in my area.

• raddish6
    12 years ago

Only 5 or more thread serger do coverstitch. You can buy just a coverstitch machine. I have the Baby Lock Imagine Serger and the Baby Lock Coverstitch. I would have had to buy the 8 thread to get the coverstitch or the stand alone coverstitch.

Pamie G.

• changouno_live_com
    12 years ago

Per comments that the coverstich is exactly like the two needle stitch on a regular sewing machine: it is not even close. The two needle on a regular machine is a single zigzag and the coverstich is a looping stitch that does a double zigzag. the cover stitch is a professional finish and holds better and covers the edges of the hem better.

also I have found from experience that n0n industrial machines like Janome and Husqvarna will not sew well on spandex and especially on medium to thick materials...jeans, or when folding a serged hem or over elastic. Those machines will skip and even lower brans of indurtrial machines are fussy, overly sensative and get out of timing easliy.

Sponsored
Kitchen Kraft
Average rating: 4.8 out of 5 stars39 Reviews
Ohio's Kitchen Design Showroom |11x Best of Houzz 2014 - 2022