Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
shwetagarg_gw

fabric for Tablemats

shwetagarg
17 years ago

Hello

I am looking for a fabric to make table mats . Can anyone suggest me ? Actaully my dining table is a bit of a unique size. So I am unable to find any in market.

Plz suggest.and also the edging i shud give to it

thanks

Comments (5)

• User
    17 years ago

Any tightly woven fabric will make placemats, if that's what you're asking about. For easier cleaning, you can spray them with a few coats of Scotchguard when they're complete.

If you're talking about protective pads for your table, that's a whole different story.

• shwetagarg
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Hey Dian
    nope i wasnt talking abt the protective pads. I wanted to know abt the mats cloth only.
    Do u know if it wud be available in Joann Fabrics or not.
    And wht shud I do abt the edging. I mean shud I go for satin ribbon or shud i just plain fold them n stitch?
    suggest plz

• budster
    17 years ago

Sorry for jumping in Dian...shwetagarg, I'd suggest getting some bias binding...if you want to bind the edges. Learning to attach it will be another good skill. Otherwise if you are using two pieces of fabric, you can always sew them right sides together, leave a space for turning them right side out, poke out nice crisp edges and corners, press, slip stitch the opening and then run a couple of lines of stitching all aound the inside edges - could be in a nice contrast color even to stand out. Then you can spray them with scotchguard if you want. I don't and just toss them into the wash when stained ..... I always make a couple extra so I can keep a set on the table. I wash and iron them with a slight spray of spray starch to keep them crisp. I like to use the heavier cottons but have also done them from some tea towels I liked. You can make your own template in the shape you wish...oval, square or octagonal. You will have to decide what you like best. You might want to try with an inexpensive cotton and make one test one (or four) before buying some expensive fabric for a set of eight or ten. My apologies for jumping in. Budster - oh and I had some fabrics left and made a long runner for the middle of the table as well. (Just another thought)

• krissie55
    17 years ago

Some upholstry fabric make great placemats. Stitch about 1" around and then fringe.

Drapery fabrics make nice plaemats also. Check out drapery outlet stores.

• jaybird
    17 years ago

I make place mats, but my favorites are finger tip towels that you can purchase is a jillion different colors!! They are fringed on the ends and can be tossed in the washer and dryer! Even though I wash them often, it takes a LONNNNg time for them to fade!! They are GREAT!!

Sponsored
KP Designs Group
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars50 Reviews
Franklin County's Unique and Creative Residential Interior Design Firm