Return to the Sewing Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Pattern for convertible pants

Posted by new-beginning (My Page) on
Fri, Apr 18, 14 at 1:32

Ready made pants like this are pricey, i.e. $70.00 or so. If you are not familiar with this type, it is pants where the lower portion unzips, leaving you with above the knee shorts - ideal for travel when one might encounter cool day/hot day within a few hours.

I have a trip planned this Fall to Costa Rica and these pants were suggested by the tour operator. I realllllly don't want to spend $70.00 for pants I might never wear again when the trip is over.

Anyone ever seen a pattern for these? or any ideas on what type pattern to purchase and then modify? straight legs I would guess.

I am an experience sewing person (more than 50 years sewing).

Carolyn

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Pattern for convertible pants

Green pepper pattern #524.

o

Here is a tutorial for altering an existing pattern.

Donna

Here is a link that might be useful: Convertible Pants

o

thanks folks - I already have a favorite pants pattern so I'll try Donna's tutorial just as soon as the weather gets too hot to work in the yard.

o

Check out sierra trading post...their prices are less than $70. I'm thinking for a woman, a pair of pants with wider leg that can just be rolled up...maybe with tabs and a button can be an alternative...and that way you won't have to worry about where to put the rest of the pant leg...

Not that her style works with a super casual vacation, but if you haven't seen the Vivienne Files blog, you might take a look. She shows how many outfits you can get from packing how many pieces, including what to wear on the plane. Some of her packing wardrobes are based around LLBean stuff so it can be more casual...but it gives you some great ideas for efficient packing....you may not need the convertible pants at all....

o

Annie - the Vivienne stuff (haven't looked yet) may be great for next year (European River cruise), but the tour company for Costa Rica specifically suggested the convertible pants as some days we will have warm (jungle) and cool (mountains) in same day.

If anyone wants to see the tour I am talking about, go to Caravan.com and look at the Costa Rica tour. I am going in November. Carolyn

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Sewing Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here