Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
linnea56chgo5b

Altering too-small dressy jackets convincingly

I picked up 2 great tops at a resale shop today. Both are too small but beautifully detailed, so I decided each was worth the (Gasp!) $10 they cost. The red and black one is from Coldwater Creek! They are both made of piecework in many different fabrics so I am thinking that adding more will not look odd. But now I have to get to work! I hope the supplies to make them fit wonÂt cost more than the jackets did!

The first one (in olive and rust tones) is more of a shirt weight than a jacket but I plan to wear it as a layering piece. It is lined. This is the one shown in the first 3 pictures. There are a couple panels of caramel colored ultrasuede on it: I have a strip of ultrasuede already that is almost a match in color. I donÂt have much but may be able to stretch it out.

The question is where to add. This one does not close in front by about 3 inches, plus the sleeves are snug. I thought IÂd add a placket to each side of the front opening, and then to make that look like a part of the design, sew a strip of matching size along the bottom hem. Move the buttons and make new button holes in the placket. I could also split each arm at the seam and sew a strip in there, and maybe add a cuff. Do you think this alone will do the trick? Or will I have to run the strip up each arm and all the way down the side seams? The jacket is lined but to save effort I was just going to ignore that and sew these additions in as if it werenÂt. Maybe first baste the lining down on each side of the seams so it does not shift.

The second one (mostly red and black) is not as small. The sleeves are OK. The red is like crushed or panne velvet, as is the lining. Assuming IÂm not lucky enough to match the red, I would look for black panne velvet.

For this I thought I would add to the plackets on each side of the opening as in the first one. Do you think to make it look planned I should also add a strip to the bottom all the way around?

Any other ideas to make these alterations look like part of the original design? Thanks for the help!

The green and rust one:

Side seam

Side seam and sleeve

Red and Black jacket

Comments (4)

Sponsored
Velero Deck Designs
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars3 Reviews
Loudoun County's Source for High-End Custom Decks & Outdoor Structures