Return to the Sewing Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
having cotton laminated?

Posted by pitpat (My Page) on
Tue, Mar 19, 13 at 22:02

Hi,
I was debating whether to post this here or in the home dec forum and thought I'd try here first. I would like some laminated cotton (not oilcloth) to use as a kitchen tablecloth, but none of the non-toxic prints I have seen will work with the print curtains I made. There is a perfect coordinating fabric (it's a Kate Spain for Moda), but it is not available in laminate. I was wondering if that's something you can have done. Like could I buy the fabric and take it somewhere? I don't know anything about the process, so maybe this is a ridiculous idea. Maybe one can really only get it from the manufacturer. If that's the case, I'm out of luck, but I figured I'd ask around.
TIA

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: having cotton laminated?

Why not just use the plain cotton and then buy a piece of the clear plastic to go over the top of it.Several years ago they used to sell the clear vinyl that you could iron on the fabric to laminate it.But if memory serves me correctly,it only came in one width,which I don't think would be wide enough for what you want,and I'm not sure they even sell it anymore.
Kathi

o

I used to do that, but I found out it is not food safe :(

o

There are companies that do this, but it's pricey. There is also a product that you can use yourself - Heat 'n Bond iron on vinyl. You do know that the Moda fabric would have to be seamed together to make it wide enough for a table cloth.

o

Good point about the fabric width. Maybe I should just abandon the idea and try to find a laminated cotton tablecloth in a color/pattern that matches OK instead of trying to get the "perfect" one.

o

You can scotch guard the fabric to give it some protection, or you can make place mats instead and then use the iron on vinyl as i will cover the place mats.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Sewing Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here