Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
dawnp_gw

Newer vs Old Machines

dawnp
14 years ago

I learned to sew on a Singer Slant-o-matic. It was my mother's an I had it until I was in my 20's. Then, I "upgraded" to one of those early Singer electronic machines in the mid 80's. It was a decent machine but I pretty much wore it out. So, I bought a new Bernina Activa 130 several years ago. I'm embarassed to say that it sat in my sewing room in the box for seven years. :( I just didn't take the time to learn the new machine. When my electronic singer finally gave out I pulled out the Bernina and headed to the nearest Bernina dealer to get some lessons. Well, the instructor said it sewed beautifully but after it was on during the lesson for a while, it kept cutting off and ended up needing a $350 repair. We are not sure whether the problem was due to sitting so long or not. I have it now but honestly, I am haveing some trouble adjusting to how different it is. You know old dog, new tricks...

Anyway, I'm feeling like this machine is going to be difficult to maintain. How often will it need a tune up? I don't sew all the time and am wondering if every time I go to sew there will be a problem with this machine.

I am seriously considering buying a twin of my original Singer 500a off of Ebay. Am I crazy?

Most of my sewing is home dec and I really just use basic stitches.

I am so sorry that I got rid of my Mother's machine in the 80's. I thought newer was better. Stupid. We live and learn.

Anyone have any comments or opinions?

Comments (15)

• sheesh
    14 years ago

I can't give an opinion on newer machines, as mine are Singers from 1976. I do offer my sympathies, though; that kind of thing can stymie me for months. My machine is a Touch-tronic 2001, my serger is a 4-thread Singer Ultralock 14u64A. They have been faithful workhorses for me - and they work HARD! The machine was tuned up once about 12 years ago, the serger has never been. I hear lots of complaints about Singer, but you won't hear one from me!

I do long for a fine new embroidery/sewing machine and a serger that does cover stitches, but I can't justify that kind of expense even though I sew a lot. In your case, I'm not sure what I would do. Old friends are good friends, but once you've mastered the Bernina you may find you love it. And perhaps your old slant-o-matic just didn't live long enough to give you any trouble before you got your new machine. Don't beat yourself up over it.

Sherry

• shadylady2u
    14 years ago

"I am seriously considering buying a twin of my original Singer 500a off of Ebay. Am I crazy?"
    No, you're crazy not to, LOL! All my machines are old. The new ones can't hold a candle to them.
    I bought a new Singer once because I thought it was better and what a piece of junk it was. Never again!

• dawnp
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Sherry - The electronic machine I wore out is a touch-tronic 2010. Just a slightly newer version of yours. I don't think they make parts for them anymore.

• joelke
    14 years ago

I had a Montgomery Ward Signature from 1970 and when it gave up, I bought a new machine. I too find it hard to adjust to changes and just barely, if ever, sewed on it because of all the changes. My son started going to auctions in the area and found a Singer Slant O Matic in original cabinet for $20.00. He is very mechanically inclined and extremely good at fixing things. I had him look for older machines for me. He found one very very similiar to my old Wards, I love it and can now sew again. Since that time we have purchased several older machines at these auctions for $1.00 to $2.00. He goes through them to make sure they run well. He has several sisters who now love him more than ever.

Look at the auction bills in your area. If you have a mechanically inclined person you will be able to find a dream machine much cheaper than ebay and no postage.

• nicole__
    14 years ago

I wore out the old machine, 25years of use. The needle wouldn't stay aligned. $80 each time I took it in, about every project.

Then went on ebay and purchased a used Bernina, it downloads embroidery off the internet. The stupid thing stops if I go over a large crotch seam when repairing blue jeans.....was told that's normal by a local repair shop. Just turn it off and on, it will reset. So I got fed up and went to Walmart, purchased a Brother, figured it would work for simple stuff.......it made a crunching noise and now the bobbin thread tangles.....it needs repaired. :0)

I'm afraid to buy a used non-electronic machine because it will be worn out. I don't have a solution....

• budster
    14 years ago

Are you crazy? No, but I personally would be looking at used machines at your favorite sewing machine store. If you like a certain repair place, mention what machine you'd like to find and a price range.....ask them to let you know if they find one or something close - leave your name and phone number for contact. I found a 222 Singer for my mother that way - it took a few years but I got her one! Your search might not take that long - as for older/newer which to go with. It is up to the sewer..I also sew on old machines...my "new" machine as my DH calls it is now 30 years old. It took a bit to learn it but after a few garments became an old friend. Same with my serger - a devil I threatened to return - so many trips back and forth to the dealer - it turned out a bent needle was the problem (factory installed no less). I made sure I knew that machine before we left the area as the closest dealer in my new town was 3 hours away. That being said the old serger is still clugging along and does its job for me. I vote for older machines, as long as they come from a reliable sewing shop, come with lesson(s) and some kind of a guarantee. Some people luck in at auctions, and garage sales but they are a buyer beware most times. No for a little more cash I like going to a dealer, but the older machines win hands down IMHO. Budster

• nanasaidso
    14 years ago

When I was 20, I bought a brand new Singer. How excited I was! That was the late 70's, though, a real low point for Singer. The machine was a nightmare. My next machine was from Penney's. It spent more time in the shop than at home, so I finally switched to a fairly basic Kenmore. That was 20 years ago, and it's been a real work horse.

The frustration of working with those other two machines stayed with me though, so when the eldest DD asked for a sewing machine for her birthday, I did a lot of research on what older machines would be sturdy and trouble-free. For a zigzag machine, the Singer Slant-O-Matic 401, 403, and 500 were the most recommended, particularly by sewing machine mechanics.

I was lucky enough to find a 403a for $80, cleaned, tuned, and with a bunch of feet and cams. After using it, I was so impressed I decided to keep it, and give my daughter the Kenmore. She's happy because she's familiar with it. I told her if she keeps sewing (she was never interested growing up), we'd look for another old Singer.

• nanny2a
    14 years ago

My Bernina was manufactured in 1974 and is what I still use today. It originally belonged to my mother, and I inherited it when she died in 1979. I sew on a regular basis and always keep the machine in good condition, with regular trips to a professional for oiling and cleaning. It works like a charm, and I wouldn't trade it for anything newer.

The last time I took it in for a check up, the technician was agreeing with me that this particular model was a real workhorse, and very dependable. Then he told me that he had one just like mine that someone had brought in and it was a shame because that one was ruined. When I asked how it came to be ruined, he explained that the woman who had it had left it, unused, in her garage for several years, at least 10 or more, and that the inactivity caused it to lock up.

If you can find an older model that's been well cared for, I do think older is better!

• goldy
    13 years ago

I have a Bernina and something is always wrong with it but I love it.My old machinre I could sew over pins and use cheap thread but with my new baby the sewing mac tech says "no no".

• lizzie2
    13 years ago

I am sorry to hear about your problems. I have an older Singer which I found repair parts for online and it still works well today but I also have a Bernina which I love. Every machine after it sets for awhile needs serviced. It takes awhile to learn a new machine (I have 3 different machines brands) and I use the Singer for my beginner sewers, my Vikings for intermediate sewers and embroidery and my 1992 Bernina for my sewing...it is my baby. Give the Bernina a try, they are a top of the line machine.

• Laura_IA
    13 years ago

I have a "fancy" Singer XL6000 embroidery/sewing machine which I use a lot to embroider. When I need to SEW, I have 4 or 5 old black Singers that never let me down! A 1930 model 201 is my favorite, but I also have a 1942 Featherweight for classes and traveling. Personally, the old all-metal machines have a sound and feel to them that I love, and the stitch quality cannot be beat. I will always go back to them for the day-to-day sewing.

The best thing is they are everywhere! Goodwill or a garage sale, usually $50 or less, and all the instruction and repair manuals can be found online.

• aok27502
    13 years ago

I have my mother's old Kenmore from probably the 70's. It's avocado green, if that says anything. That thing is made of metal and is a workhorse. I've had it for years, but only recently pulled it out to stitch some leather. It runs like a dream!!

Funny you should mention watching your mom sew. When I pulled out the Kenmore, threading it was automatic, with no thought required. It was like I had used it yesterday! I attribute this to the THOUSANDS of hours I spent watching her use that machine!!!

• formerlyflorantha
    13 years ago

Just discovered this thread. Thought I'd add that I bought a Viking in 1972 that has served me for all this time, with occasional trips to the repair man. Ten years ago, I decided to look for a second one to keep at the lake cabin and to haul with me in a camper trailer. Interesting that the model had not dropped in value--I could have bought oldies that were much cheaper and perhaps as good, but my new reconditioned oldie cost more than three of them. Unfortunately, the repair man could not fix the reduction gear on the reconditioned one--it is a wonderful feature, allowing me to sew through very thick or ornery things. (Salesman demo when I first bought in the 70's was to sew fabric to a yardstick.) Anyway, just as aok27502 sez, "it was like I had used it yesterday" and my old hands knew exactly how to do everything. Interesting that the same clip on both carrying cases slips out of position. They're twins in so many ways.

I've made all the curtains in my house. That first machine paid for itself in so many ways. Last year I was able to rescue a wedding that had a mal-fitting bridesmaid dress, but my new old machine sent up smoke and had to go for its second really thorough go-over. Now if it had been in MY possession all that time, I'm sure it would be in A-1 shape...:-)

• donnar57
    13 years ago

This thread caught my eye as well. My daughter (age 24) expressed an interest in learning to sew. One thought I had was to give her my old workhorse (Viking 620 from about 20 years ago) and get a new top-of-the-line machine for myself. However, my mom is getting up there in years and has already told me that I'm getting her two top-of-the-line machines. Since I recently inherited my aunt's serger, I think my SIL is getting my mom's.

So the next thought is finding a good machine for my daughter to learn on. This thread has already given me some ideas - and I know this particular daughter would not mind a used machine as a gift, particularly if it's a machine that is well made and in good condition. So the only worry is double-shipping...if I bought a machine online, I'd have to have it shipped to me (so I can test it out) and then to her, 1800 miles away in the Midwest.

Any other advice cheerfully accepted!

PS I used to participate in this forum a few years back; however, other commitments beckoned and I had to give something up. But I took much of the advice gotten here in setting up my new sewing space. I still can't afford to do it the way I want to ... paying college loans on that same daughter ... but it's a working room.

Donna

Sponsored
CHC & Family Developments
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars4 Reviews
Industry Leading General Contractors in Franklin County, Ohio