Return to the Sewing Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
new here = 2 questions

Posted by jejvtr (My Page) on
Mon, Mar 12, 07 at 20:54

Hi all you avid sewers! I'm a "wannabe" and looking for some advice

1st - I purchased LaScala Silk drape pinch pleat drapery (2pair) for my Dinning room - long ardous task ordering the best way for me to do it - was to get Made to length order - so sort of custom without the $$$$ in any event I would have preferred add'l linning ((they come w/thin cotton/poly linning) - just wondering is it possible to have a prof seamstress put a linning in ???
I'd like the extra protection on the silk, weight of panels, and keeping heat out in summer

TIA

Also-
I would like to do some simple sewing projects (pillows, maybe roman shades) and am looking for used machine - i did read a recent post on machines -
Found this near me wondering if it might suit my needs and if anyone can help me out

$40 not much info

Singer Sewing Machine from the 1960s. Solid, heavy construction, not lightweight like the newer models. Runs as well today as it did 40 years ago! Price Negotiable!

Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket

TIA!!!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: new here = 2 questions

Yes a good seamstress should be able to add a lining to your curtains.

I say go for it with the machine. I you only get a couple of years out of it your not out much and you will get an idea as to whether or not sewing is for you.

Bonnie

o

That looks very similar to the Singer Fashion Mate that my parent's gave me when I graduated from college. I've still got mine and it runs just fine. I'll never get rid of it.

If it has zig zag capability, you will be very glad of that. And yes, this machine weighs a ton.

You've got a bargain! Yay for you!

Teresa

o

I'd go for the Singer. It is a good sturdy machine and the price is pretty good. Colleen

o

Before you buy anything, make sure you sew on it. The main thing you need is a good thread tension. Good luck.

o

Ok that one sold - and now I'm on the serious hunt

Followed advice on other threads here & went to local dealer - experienced guy who has had the biz over 20yrs - not pushy - He only sells Janome - noted yes, there are others out there of quality - I suppose he finds this easier

He has a great policy - if in the first 12 mos you would like to ret your machine for upgraded machine you can at full pricing! nice
Unlimited instruction - with appt
He services

So, now I have to decide new machine - gee after trying out the Janome DC 3050 retails @ $699 vs a manual or non computerized....

Still looking but I really liked that machine seems like sewing would truly be enjoyable

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Sewing Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here