Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
kokelly_gw

Did I get the shaft ? Expertise needed!

kokelly
15 years ago

Hello - I just paid a ridiculous amount of money for some balloon shades for my bedroom. They're double lined so that we could ensure darkness. After hanging them, I noticed that there are two horizontal holes every 4 inches. (About 252 holes on 40" x 60" window). So, if take a nap during the day, for example, there are 252 pin holes of light streaming in my room.

I am not a sewer, but to me it looks like they used a big needle to get through the fabric, too big for the small amount of thread used.

Is this standard for balloon shades do you know? Or is this poor quality? There have been several other issues of questionable craftsmanship with these particular shades -- the thread that draws the curtain, for example, is located on the outside of the curtain in one row instead of the on the back, but without a sewing background I don't know if the light issue is normal! Please, what are your thoughts?

I'm trying to get my ducks in a row before I call them tomorrow.

Thank you!!

Comments (7)

• annie1971
    15 years ago

I don't know what your seamstress was using as her guide for holes, but is it really worth stressing over? If the overall quality is acceptable and you can sleep and enjoy your window coverings -- where is the problem? If you think you paid a ridiculous price -- that's the problem. You should have addressed it up front and stop finding flaws in the finished product if they aren't really a problem. My advice would be, get passed it and try to do better next time.

• dee_can1
    15 years ago

It would be a concern for me if I wanted something to entirely darken my room, and I had hundreds of little streams of light shining in. I have sleep problems, and I find having complete darkness (which I don't have at the moment because of my blinds) to be essential.

So, I do get your concern, kokelly; (esp. if you specified that complete darkness was of utmost importance with your blinds prior to having them made)(?).

I have a roller blind, and there is - lol - ONE pin hole in it, and the light does shine through. But, the light also shines in above and around the blind. And it bugs me.

I do not like when something unexpected like this happens to something you were looking forward to - kind of a let down. Or, if you don't think of the different possibilities that can lead to you not being satisfied... it's hard to know, though. I don't know what you should do - does the seamstress have any guarantees with her products (did she guarantee complete darkening effect?) - at least you could speak to her/him. Can you use the blind in another room (if worse comes to worse), and get something else for your room?

Dee

• dee_can1
    15 years ago

Ah, but then again, I see your concern is with the quality - ie. if the needle holes were smaller (like you think they should have been, and that the needle may have been too large), the light wouldn't come through. I think I would say something then.

• sheesh
    15 years ago

I'm guessing the window probably faces south, so any holes will have sun shining through, no matter what size the needle hole. Dee has only one hole, and the light shines through.

Did you see samples of their work before you bought? Google balloon shades-some pics have fabric runners covering the pulls. Maybe they could make an adjustment like that, but it will cost you unless you were guaranteed total darkness.

Try sleep blinders for that nap.

Good luck.

• evaf555
    15 years ago

You had something custom-made. Custom made won't come with a Walmart price tag. The price of fabric and labor charges in the U. S. will make custom made *two to five times more expensive* than off-the-rack. I can't buy fabric for drapes cheaper than I can buy drapes, even if I were to make them myself.

I'll take a stab at diagnosis without seeing the backs: I'll bet there are carbone rings on the back side of the shade, through which the nylon lines run to raise and lower them. I'd guess the stitches that hold the rings in place go through all the layers of the curtain, not just the lining. I'd guess that's where your pinholes are.

I've never made them, but I've was looked into it, and my reference book reads that the stitches to hold the rings are only supposed to go through the lining.

That's what the book says. In my head, using common sense, I wonder if the lining would hold up and the rings stay on very well stitched the way the book says. I'd be tempted to stitch all the way through, myself.

Also, it would not occur to me that the pinholes would bother anyone, even if she were purchasing the shade to darken the room. (It might, now!) Unless the curtains are somehow mounted flush against the window trim or wall, light will come in around the sides, anyway.

I actually saw this only once, in a "warm window" treatment.
    The curtain, when lowered, unfolded from it's accordian pleated shape: there were magnetic strips that were glued along the sides and bottom of the curtain. the only breaks were at the actual folds. A magnetic strip on the window trim held the lowered shade in place.

Sherrmann is correct - there is a fabric tape that comes with rings already attached. I don't know how much more that would have added to the amount you paid.

No, I don't think you got the shaft.

• loganhogan
    15 years ago

One of the things you mentioned about the holes was that they seem bigger than the thread. The size needle used usally has more to do with the type of fabric sewn than the type of thread used.

For example if I hem a pair of plue jeans I'm going to use a different size needle than if I am sewing organza, but I may use the same spool of thread.

I second what was said about cost. I buy a lot of my clothes because I can buy them cheaper than I can make them. I bought a skirt the other day for $4.00 that had about 50-60 dollars worth of fabric in it.

Maybe you have a friend who sews that can give you some input on if the construction is poor workmanship or if you had an unrealistic expectation. A lot of my friends have unrealistic expectations about what a home sewing machine and the operator can do.

Good Luck,
    Susan

• sheesh
    15 years ago

I hope you can get over your disappointment in the shades. I'm sure they're beautiful and well-made. Needle holes would just be part of the construction

Sherry