Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
bayareafrancy

Dee--some bag links

bayareafrancy
15 years ago

Hi Dee,

Here is a link to the oilcloth "market" bags that I am interested in. They are very similar to your bag, only made with oilcloth fabric. I wonder if your pattern would work?

http://www.tannerbananer.com/prod_start.php

Here is a link to the Amy Butler bag patterns that I mentioned. I just love the "frenchy" and the "birdie." I wonder if the frenchy could be done in oilcloth?

http://henriettashandbags.com/handbag_patterns.html

:-)

francy

Comments (12)

• dee_can1
    15 years ago

Hi francy, : ) Thanks so much for thinking about me, and for the links. They're great. I like the bags you like - frenchy, and birdy, and I like the laptop cover, and messenger bag, too...

I have to google oilcloth, I'm really not sure what it is to be exact.

You know what I got today? lol Um, the pattern for the apron you made! I liked yours so much. I didn't think I would find it; but I did. Even the cashier commented on the apron. I had to go to another town to find Simplicity patterns...

I haven't bought any fabric for the apron yet... I'm finding I'm not so good at 'picturing' what the end-result will look like. Is it just plain cotton fabric (your cupcake fabric) that you used for your apron? I'll have to get the store clerk to help me with that part.

Thanks again. : )

Dee

• bayareafrancy
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Oilcloth is basically just vinyl that has stolen the nifty old fashioned name for the original waterproof fabric (fabric treated with some kind of oil).

I can't wait to see how your apron turns out! I just used a nice cotton fabric. Tip#1: even the short apron is really, really long. In my photo, Ms. Cupcake was shortened a whole 5 inches! Tip#2: making the bias tape out of fabric looks a gazillion times nicer than using cheap store stuff. A gazillion! For aprons, it might not matter, but the cheap edging just screams "homemade," and not in a good way. Tip#3: It runs huge. Tip#4: I have no more tips.

francy

• dee_can1
    15 years ago

"francy - Oilcloth is basically just vinyl that has stolen the nifty old fashioned name for the original waterproof fabric (fabric treated with some kind of oil)."

Ah. I was picturing (literally) an oily fabric that would possibly drip on the sewing machine. : P lol ; )

I'm feeling pressure about the apron - lol. OK, if I make my own bias tape, I should have a report for you in about 6 months... I think I want to go that way, though - the store-bought stuff doesn't sound ideal.

Thanks for your tips. I'm a little over 5'3"/95 lbs (soaking wet), so I'm picturing a gown length apron... lol - I'll shorten accordingly.

Dee

• bayareafrancy
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Oh, you will definitely need to smaller it a LOT! I'm 5'6", about 125lb. The small size is huge. The armpit holes go almost to my bellybutton. Actually, the wideness of it makes it easy to take on and off, since it has no ties/snaps/buttons. The biggest problem for me is the neck/shoulders. They just fall right off me. I raised the shoulders, and on my second version, I reduced the overall neck hole, and altered the strap shape a bit (moving them inward).

The edging isn't hard to make, just very, very time consuming. Makes the apron take a looooong time. And you need it at the very beginning, because the pockets (which are edged) are one of the first things to make. Oh--another tip: I was too excited to see the actual apron, and I had no edging. So, I decided to do the pockets at the end. Ugh! Very hard to attach the pockets once the mobias strip of an apron has been assembled. Do the pockets first!

francy

• dee_can1
    15 years ago

Yeah, I'm thinking I can go with children's patterns maybe - but I won't (out of principle... lol). It's always been difficult to buy clothes because many stores don't carry small enough sizes.

I was wondering about the bias... how much extra material would I need for that? Would the scraps be enough? I'm finding I can't wrap my mind around this project yet - I've got apron paralysis. :0

Plus, my last bag went very wrong; I tried to adapt the pattern a bit - I didn't like the look of the unfinished seams (all that straggley fabric), so I thought I would double fold the seams before sewing, for a finished edge - only problem is, once I got to the place where all the seams met (folded over 6 times (?) by then), the 'bump' was so huge, that I could even get the foot to go over it, or the needle to go through it. I'm taking the whole bag apart now (that's alot of reverse sewing), and saving what can be saved to use on another bag. : P

Dee

• bayareafrancy
    Original Author
    15 years ago

I've had that same problem with big thick lumps of fabric. The apron pockets weren't hemmed, so I tried to hem them so I wouldn't have all that scraggliness. I wonder what some other solutions are? I tried cutting off some under layers.

The apron actually does come in a kids version. But, since the pattern includes the to-the-floor version, as well as the short version, I would take the long one and alter it a bit to fit. Especially the neck hole. Don't cut out the small sized neck. It is huge, and once you cut it, you can't really uncut it. Cut it bit by bit. That is, redraw it to be a tiny neck hole, and then bigger it gradually until you like where the straps are sitting on you. Err on the side of too small, b/c you can always take more off the fabric later (my fabric hung wider on me than the paper pattern did).

You will likely need to take a foot off the length (which is how much I took off version #2 in order to make that one hang just past my hips (past the crotch of my jeans). Again, shorten in stages.

Taking in the sides and armpits was very hard for me. For an apron, it really isn't necessary, and as long as you make the neck small enough, and the shoulder straps close enough together, you should be fine with the boxy sides (much easier to get on and off).

The listed materials pretty much include enough for the edging. The small requires 2 5/8. You don't need more. You will probably need less! For my version #2, I only purchased 2 yards of fabric, and I still had enough for the edging after all my smallering of the apron.

We need budster to make this. She has the pattern....

francy

• budster
    15 years ago

Hello ladies - got the tea on francy? I was just taking a moment to check out the forum and hello my ears musta been burning. I would go with the two yards....If francy got the enough for the fabric and the binding with her amount (and still lots left, well then try it with two) - there is a pattern piece in my pattern that shows you how big a piece of fabric you need for the binding and it isn't very big at all. Yes, yes, I should make the apron...but I have other sewing to get out of the way. As for the HUMPS...get yourselves a "jean-ama-jig" (google it and you'll see what it is and does). I couldn't get one in my small town but went to a Husquavarna dealer and asked about getting one ordered and they sold me what they call a "hump jumper"....goes over larger, thick seams.....cost a whole $2.50...and works like a charm - it is basically the same as the jean-ama-jig. Definately a wonderful little sewing aid if you will be doing lots of thick seams, drapes, blue jeans whatever. I think the back of the package has the instructions how it works..I've only ever seen one. If I remember you slide it in behind your pressure foot and it helps bring your fabric and foot into line. Definately worth the money girls, trust me. And the Husquavarna hump jumper and the jean-ama-jig works with ANY machine. So now who is pouring? What do you mean no time for tea......going to hit the fabric store oh wait maybe I'll hitch a ride too!

• bayareafrancy
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Budster: I'm sipping as I type! (Eating a yummy almond cookie too.)

My son asked why I put the machine away. I told him I had to focus on finishing some knitting, as well as cleaning, laundry, playing with the little one, etc. He doesn't think this is fair. Because he still wants to use it. I suppose he is right.

2 yds is enough IF you want the apron to come past your hips, and just past the crotch of pants. But that's a little short for the apron. Though you are several inches shorter than me. Never mind. 2 yards should be enough for you. If it isn't, it will at least be plenty for the apron. You could always get more for the binding.

francy

• dee_can1
    15 years ago

Hey you guys. : ) OK a yard is roughly equal to a meter - a little bigger, I think. (I'm from Canada, so I wasn't sure the exact difference, so I googled it.) I could always get 2.5 meters, or so, to be on the safe side.

Thanks for the detailed info, francy. I actually didn't realize you made the 2nd, longer, apron and just shortened it. I thought you had made #1. So, that's good to know.

Yes, I agree, budster, it would be fantastic if you would make the apron. : ) Accompanied with photos; and a tutorial - lol. ; ) (Totally kidding.) I realize you have lots on the go. A question (one of many), is it 'normal' for those with the sewing bug to, um, accumulate patterns? They weren't as expensive as I thought they would be, and I picked up a few Simplicity patterns. Plus, I got a teeny pattern for a little 'patch' bag.

Also, I went into a really great sewing shop, where the people working there were so friendly and helpful. They are also a dealer for the Husquavarna (I'm pretty sure that was it), and Janome. She eagerly showed me some 'feet'; and I bought 2 of them (not very expensive, which was surprising). I have information overload; but one of the feet is called, "Adjustable Zipper Foot - Low Shank". I believe she said it sews over 'humps'. I'll have to ask her again. I'll post of photo of it, and see if you guys know anything about it.

OK, I googled 'jean-ama-jig' and it's definitely not similar to that. Hmm, I'll see if the jean-ama-jig is available in any of the stores around here. Thanks for the recommendation, budster. : )

Just for fun, here's a photo of the foot; and the little bag pattern. One can never have too many patterns or feet, I always say. lol.

Dee

• budster
    15 years ago

dee can......I'm in B.C., where are you.......and I just purchased a pattern from This and That is so similar to yours LOL. Oh pattern accumulation is the Norm..keep them dear. I have sewn for a niece (now in her 30's), a daughter (20 something) and now a great niece (under 1) used the same pattern for them all - LOL. If something is easy, quick and never goes out of fashion - keep the pattern. Bags NEVER seem to go out of style - as do overalls for little ones, sleepers, etc. Now as for adjustible low shank zipper foot, it is good for zippers..very good in fact, I own a couple of them. Ah I don't know if they are good for thickness however. You have a Husquavarna dealer near you.....ask for a "hump jumper".....it works as good as a "jean-ama-jig"...and was cheaper. My local shop called it "hump jumper" perhaps that is not the "professional name" but say you want something for the thickness of hemming jeans - that should give them the right direction. My "hump jumper" is just a grey piece of plastic and looks like a pressure foot without any place to attach it to the machine. Gee, that sounds vague....but they should know what you want. It is part of a regular attachment package but you can buy them separately. Jean-ama-jig is available.......SOMETIMES at my local walmart (once I know of)....and in a Fabricland..a couple of times. If you ask at Husquavarna - they should just demonstrate how it works for you....so you know where and how to place it in relation to your pressure foot. Dee - my pattern is similar to yours but is more "scrappy"....LOL, I can't believe we "almost" have the same one.

• budster
    15 years ago

I'm crocheting a blanket for a charity ......and my machine, quilt blocks, and fabric pieces are all sitting on the dining room table. Put your machine away??? It's not Christmas is it? I agree with your son, if the floor doesn't have a thread trail, the table not full of "bits"..the ironing board holding a pile of "have to get to's".....the sewing fairy is not at home...get with the program. LOL

• dee_can1
    15 years ago

lol budster about the 'trails and bits'... I'm in Nova Scotia. : ) About the pattern, the store had 3 different This & That bag styles, but the one I wanted had sold out. Maybe it was the really scrappy one you have? But this one is cute.

I guess I'll have to cut out something like 5" squares, and sew them together first? Something like that. I told the store owner that it looks complicated for a beginner, but she said it isn't very difficult.

Glad to hear pattern accumulation is the norm. ; )
    And wow, about you using the same pattern for so many years. The store clerk at one fabric store did say that she sees patterns many years old, and used many times, that look brand new. She told me this when I asked her about whether people trace their patterns onto tracing paper; and she told me not to worry about using the pattern over and over again.

I will ask the Husq. store owner about the 'hump-jumper' then. I'm sure she'll have them. And yes, I'll get her to demonstrate it for me.

Thanks again for your help.

Dee