Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
wintertime_gw

Please help chose new machine!

wintertime
15 years ago

Hello, I am so glad to have found the sewing forum ( I am always over in kitchens!).

I need a new machine. I had an old (~ 1983) singer for years but recently passed it on to my brother and have decided to upgrade. It did a zig-zag and button hole but was bare bones.

Here are my uses:

-Clothes: Sew one party dress per year and hem pants. Would like to do more.

-Heavy duty. Repair outdoors gear and horse blankets. Heavy materials and thick batting.

-Embroidery. I would like the ability to do simple small embroidery for my riding shirts and saddle pads.

-Home. I sew cutains and plan on re-doing a lot of them soon. Some silk and some heavier type cotton.

Is there a machine that can do all this? I have heard that a Bernina or pfaff is the way to go but I don't know which model to get!

Comments (6)

• budster
    15 years ago

Honestly I think that choosing a machine is like buying a bra - it's got to be a right fit and a personal choice. I do suggest you test drive lots of models of both machines and make note of what you like and dislike...write it down! Narrow your choice and go back and do another test drive .......take your time and don't buy the FIRST machine you try. Go home and think about it. Look into the second hand models.....lots of great machines to be had at half the price. Bernina's have a good rep as do Pfaff - I've sewn on a Bernina and own a Pfaff and would buy one if I was in the market. It's such a personal choice I do reccommend having a good look around. MHO only.

• akrogirl
    15 years ago

I have used my Viking to mend several horse blankets and half chaps, lol. I have also embroidered some of my rat catchers ;-) I currently have the Diamond model, but any of the embroidery models should work.

I've tried, and love, the new Bernina 830, but didn't like some of their earlier models.

Budster is correct in suggesting that you try as many different makes and models as possible, rather like buying a horse! I would also check to see what level of support you will get from your local dealers. That was a large part of the reason I went with Viking - we have great staff in the Viking departments of our local Jo-Ann stores, they are pretty close to where I live, and their opening hours and class times work well for me.

Buying through a dealer rather than a private individual is also a good idea if you think you might want to trade-up later on. Most dealers offer pretty good trade-in options.

• debs3
    15 years ago

Many machines are capable meeting your requirements. The only questionable request is: "-Heavy duty. Repair outdoors gear and horse blankets. Heavy materials and thick batting."

Take some of the heavy duty material/s and any special thread you use, and test the machine in the store. Some machines will not handle heavy thread with out special adjustments and then they are not set correctly for regular thread. Ask the repair person if the machine will hold up to this kind of use. For instance, the gears may wear excessively.

For a lot of heavy duty sewing, I would look for a commercial machine. If you only need the straight stitch for your heavy work, the old White treadles are very strong. No reverse though.

My favorite sewing machine is my Bernina Model 1230, but the White treadle is far stronger.

I haven't been machine shopping for many years now, so I am not that familiar with the newer models. If I were shopping today for a brand new machine, and price was not an object, I would look at all of the top-of-the-line Bernina, Viking, Janome and Pfaff machines. The dealer and his repair person are very, very important, so check that out as well.

Hope this helps.

• aamassther
    15 years ago

The other thing in helping to decide which machine, is the dealer. As you're looking for your new machine ask yourself if you can work with the dealer. What kind of owner classes do they offer and how many. Do they repair machines onsite and their knowledge of the brands sold. Do you like the personalities of the people in the store. Shopping dealer, to me, is just as important as brand of machine. You're hopefully go to have a relationship with them for many years. HTH, Todd

• wintertime
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Thank you so much for the advice. My last machine was a hand-me-down so I didn't have to go to stores and try machines. This will be a new thing for me. I didn't even think of having a dealer that I liked. I never once took in my singer for repairs or anything, I've never dealt with a sewing machine store before.

That's a great suggestion to take something thicker to the store to sew. I really hate 'wimpy' machines that can't do a jean hem or something similar.

Thanks again! Now I just have to find a store that I can actually go to...everything has opening hours the same as my work hours, it's so frustrating!

• teresa_nc7
    15 years ago

Listen to the sales person if they say the machine will benefit from a yearly tune-up! It will! And many of the modern machines are computerized and you don't want to fool with that. A yearly or every 18 mo. tune-up will keep your machine running great.
    Teresa

Sponsored
Fresh Pointe Studio
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars4 Reviews
Industry Leading Interior Designers & Decorators | Delaware County, OH