Return to the Sewing Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
how should the stitches look... ?

Posted by vacuumfreak (My Page) on
Sun, Mar 8, 09 at 18:17

I have an old beautiful sewing machine that I haven't used in a while. I went to use it today and the tensions must be off, because the stitches don't look right.

My first question is, should there be any space between the stitches. I was looking at the stitches on the pillow case I just bought and there is a gap betweet each stitch. My machine produces one continuous chain.... there is no space between the stitches.

I was testing on a white piece of material. I used dark blue bobbin thread and gray top thread. I can see one "dot" of blue between each gray stitch on the top of the material. Should the bobbin thread color be showing at all on the top?

I also forgot if the bobbin is supposed to roll clockwise or counterclockwise. I never thought I'd forget this stuff, but I guess it's true... if you don't use it, you lose it!

Thanks in advance for any help you are able offer me.

This is my machine in case it helps the advice :o)
Photobucket

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: how should the stitches look... ?

Hmm, I was going to post something similar to your question, vacuumfreak; and I was going to include photos of my stitches to see if that's what they are supposed to look like. I have no idea, myself. ie. are the stitches supposed to look the same on both sides (the top and bobbin side?). I find I get double stitches on the bottom, at times. I'll post my photo of my stitches to see if this is passable... (I hope you don't mind if I post them in your thread...)

Maybe you could post of photo of your stitches. Maybe we can all post a photo of our stitches - lol - ok... but what would be really appreciated, is if someone more experienced could post a photo of their stitches, and show what we should strive for?

P.S. Cool sewing machine.

Here's my bottom (bobbin) stitches (hopefully it's clear enough. I used Straight Stitch Pattern #1, in thread length 1, and then thread length 2):

Photobucket

Top Stitch (excuse the white box, I have no idea where that came from):

Photobucket

o

Check out the website for proper tension and stitch formation.

Here is a link that might be useful: Picture of correct tension

o

I can't post pics of my stitches because my cell phone is my only camera and it will not pick them up!

Debs, that site talks about tension, but doesn't address spacing between stitches. That's why I thought some of the experts here might chime in if they know anything :o)

o

I don't think I understand, when you say "space", do you mean indent?

o

No... I mean a gap between each stitch.

o

My stitches are a chain/row one after another with no space. The bought pillowcase was probably done with a winged needle or something that left the space.
Susan

o

I have never had a machine produce a gap between stitches, there should be one continuous line of stitches, no gaps. dee can from what your picture shows it looks fine. vacuumfreak - Engage the bobbin winding mechanism with an empty bobbin and watch which way the bobbin turns.....that should tell you clockwise or anti clockwise .......I think most machines I've used it is clockwise. Might be worthwhile trying to find a manual somewhere on the web (which I bet you've done). It looks like a lovely machine, what make is it? I can't read it from your picture.

o

Check the pictures on this website for threading your bobbin case.

Here is a link that might be useful: Threading Bobbin Case 1

o
RE: how should the stitches look... ? another site

The pictures for threading your bobbin case are better at this site.

Here is a link that might be useful: Threading Bobbin Case 2

o

Thanks for writing back... my stitches are fine then! I was just paranoid!

My machine is a brother and I love it dearly... I just need to give it more exercise!

o

"budster - dee can from what your picture shows it looks fine."

Thanks for letting me know, budster. : ) And for the links, deb. Glad your stitches are fine vacuumfreak.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Sewing Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here