Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
vacuumfreak

how should the stitches look... ?

vacuumfreak
15 years ago

I have an old beautiful sewing machine that I haven't used in a while. I went to use it today and the tensions must be off, because the stitches don't look right.

My first question is, should there be any space between the stitches. I was looking at the stitches on the pillow case I just bought and there is a gap betweet each stitch. My machine produces one continuous chain.... there is no space between the stitches.

I was testing on a white piece of material. I used dark blue bobbin thread and gray top thread. I can see one "dot" of blue between each gray stitch on the top of the material. Should the bobbin thread color be showing at all on the top?

I also forgot if the bobbin is supposed to roll clockwise or counterclockwise. I never thought I'd forget this stuff, but I guess it's true... if you don't use it, you lose it!

Thanks in advance for any help you are able offer me.

This is my machine in case it helps the advice :o)

Comments (11)

• dee_can1
    15 years ago

Hmm, I was going to post something similar to your question, vacuumfreak; and I was going to include photos of my stitches to see if that's what they are supposed to look like. I have no idea, myself. ie. are the stitches supposed to look the same on both sides (the top and bobbin side?). I find I get double stitches on the bottom, at times. I'll post my photo of my stitches to see if this is passable... (I hope you don't mind if I post them in your thread...)

Maybe you could post of photo of your stitches. Maybe we can all post a photo of our stitches - lol - ok... but what would be really appreciated, is if someone more experienced could post a photo of their stitches, and show what we should strive for?

P.S. Cool sewing machine.

Here's my bottom (bobbin) stitches (hopefully it's clear enough. I used Straight Stitch Pattern #1, in thread length 1, and then thread length 2):

Top Stitch (excuse the white box, I have no idea where that came from):

{{!gwi}}

• debs3
    15 years ago

Check out the website for proper tension and stitch formation.

Here is a link that might be useful: Picture of correct tension

• vacuumfreak
    Original Author
    15 years ago

I can't post pics of my stitches because my cell phone is my only camera and it will not pick them up!

Debs, that site talks about tension, but doesn't address spacing between stitches. That's why I thought some of the experts here might chime in if they know anything :o)

• debs3
    15 years ago

I don't think I understand, when you say "space", do you mean indent?

• vacuumfreak
    Original Author
    15 years ago

No... I mean a gap between each stitch.

• loganhogan
    15 years ago

My stitches are a chain/row one after another with no space. The bought pillowcase was probably done with a winged needle or something that left the space.
    Susan

• budster
    15 years ago

I have never had a machine produce a gap between stitches, there should be one continuous line of stitches, no gaps. dee can from what your picture shows it looks fine. vacuumfreak - Engage the bobbin winding mechanism with an empty bobbin and watch which way the bobbin turns.....that should tell you clockwise or anti clockwise .......I think most machines I've used it is clockwise. Might be worthwhile trying to find a manual somewhere on the web (which I bet you've done). It looks like a lovely machine, what make is it? I can't read it from your picture.

• debs3
    15 years ago

Check the pictures on this website for threading your bobbin case.

Here is a link that might be useful: Threading Bobbin Case 1

• debs3
    15 years ago

The pictures for threading your bobbin case are better at this site.

Here is a link that might be useful: Threading Bobbin Case 2

• vacuumfreak
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Thanks for writing back... my stitches are fine then! I was just paranoid!

My machine is a brother and I love it dearly... I just need to give it more exercise!

• dee_can1
    15 years ago

"budster - dee can from what your picture shows it looks fine."

Thanks for letting me know, budster. : ) And for the links, deb. Glad your stitches are fine vacuumfreak.

Sponsored
KA Builders
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars1 Review
Industry Leading General Contractors in Columbus