Return to the Sewing Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Anyone having trouble with their Singer?!

Posted by ErinBeth (My Page) on
Tue, Mar 25, 14 at 17:28

I have a 60s Touch n Sew and I am not sure if it's me or the machine! It will work angelically for a couple projects and then it turns into this demon machine. I just took it in last December for a timing adjustment. It sewed some curtains and some other scraps perfectly. I used a ruffler foot on it, now I have a suspicion the timing is off again. The bottom stitches just don't look or feel exactly right. Not to mention, it's jamming frequently.

I have an Elna Lotus from the the 70s that I love dearly. I have not had any issues with sewing through any material. I'd like to keep using the Singer because it is bigger and has more function than the Lotus. Plus, it was my grandmothers. She used it everyday. I wish I could ask her if she ever had issues!

Are these Singer models notorious or am I just that bad?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Anyone having trouble with their Singer?!

Make sure you are cleaning the machine regularly - in the entire thread path - and doing the routine oiling. Don't be afraid to take the cover plates off (take pics so you know what goes where) to get the lint out.

Learn to check and adjust the bobbin tension and the upper tension. Bobbin tension almost never needs changing after you get it right as long as you keep using the same weight thread. But it's nice to know how.

Here is a link that might be useful: Video for bobbin tension

o
RE: Anyone having trouble with their Singer?!

Thanks for the suggestions! I do clean the machine regularly and keep up with the routine oiling exactly as the original manual says. I am pretty meticulous with this machine since it has such sentimental value to me. I have dug around under cover plates and checked both bobbin and upper tension. Nothing seems to keep it running right for very long.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Sewing Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here