Return to the Sewing Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Zipper mystery

Posted by karyn (My Page) on
Fri, Mar 28, 14 at 17:21

I have a portable rain suit for golf (Frog Togs) that was working great on Tuesday - the jacket zipped up normally.

We had to play in rain again Thursday and the zipper no longer connects the two sides - it just hooks up and zips up without connecting anything.

There is no visible damage to anything - the apparent misalignment towards the bottom is as far down and the two sides go in the base part.

Any suggestions to fix it - is there any hope to ever make this work again - or is it now just trash?

This post was edited by karyn on Sat, Mar 29, 14 at 3:11

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Zipper mystery

If your bottom is properly inserted and the zipper appears to be closing, but then opens again behind the pull tab,...I would suggest having a look at the pull tab to see if it seems to be spread open. I have many times pinched the tab a wee bit at the smaller end to make it close the zipper teeth together. Eventually tho, you might need to replace the zipper entirely. However, if you are careful with your pliers, pinching just a little at a time, and take care when unzipping, it should have quite a good life. Hope this works for you.

o

THANK YOU THANK YOU dancingirl!

On your advice, I just tried pinching the back end of the pull tab a bit with small pliers and it worked brilliantly! It's a little tight to get the zip started now - but the two sides hook up again which is fantastic. (A little wax, graphite or non-oil lubricant can likely smooth out getting it started.)

I was nearly going to give up - thanks again for the assistance :-)

o

!! So I can put my tights and cape away until another day! :-)

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Sewing Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here