Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
ani_t

Sewing - what to make first ?

ani_t
15 years ago

I bought a Viking Husqvarna prelude 350 machine from Joannes - 2 years ago! A lot has happened since then, major home disaster- fix up, a baby, a death in the family ... I am thinking of getting started with sewing... I dont know ANYTHING about sewing except the brief class at Joannes. So where do I begin ? What are my minimum supplies that I need ?

thanks

Ani

Comments (7)

• loganhogan
    15 years ago

Wow that's a loaded question. I'm sure you can google and find an answer about supplies, but my take is:
    Fabric
    Thread
    Bobbins
    Extra sewing machine needles
    scissors
    tape measure
    hem gage
    seam ripper
    pins and cushion

How much do you remember from the class at Joanns and what did they have you make? A pillowcase and tote bag are pretty simple things.

Good Luck,
    Susan

• anitastitch
    15 years ago

Hi Ani,

Another thing you may want to do before you begin your sewing project is to get to know your sewing machine again--play around with different stitch sizes, zig zag, etc.

I would go out and buy a really easy pattern, like place mats or a tote bag, or p.j. pants--something that won't require buttons or a zipper is nice to start out with. I was in your situation about 10 years ago. My first getting back into sewing project was a simple jumper for my daughter--no zips, no buttons--very easy and fun.

I miss making those cute little girl outfits, but now I enjoy making quilts and purses.

As far as what you need, Susan covered most of it. But I would also say, to make sure that the pins you have are nice sharp ones and I wouldn't use old thread. Spring for a new spool, as old thread can get kind of weak and break easily. Also buy nice SHARP scissors and don't let ANYONE use them for anything but fabric.

If you're still feeling unsure--take another class.

Have fun and welcome back to sewing and keep us posted on what you're working on.

Jen

• carolb_w_fl_coastal_9b
    15 years ago

Some tailor's chalk or marking pencils & carbon paper & tracing wheel might be good as well - for when you get more advanced....

= )

• ani_t
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Will drapes be a little much for a beginner ? I would love to get some practical use out of my machine so hubby will be happy...

• joansews4u
    15 years ago

I would try some kind of curtain before I tried drapes.

Napkins are a good "going green" idea & would be a good project to get the feel of your machine.

• sheesh
    15 years ago

Curtains, pillows, napkins, etc. Drapes would be waayy too much, methinks!

You have a baby? How about a little fleece spring jacket. Or some cute summer clothes from remnants. Buy patterns on sale for $1.99. If you want a "bigger" project, try a robe for yourself or your hub. Or the baby!

But get to know that machine a little first. Save the drapes for later.

• User
    15 years ago

great advice from everyone.

i wanted to share some tutorials i came across that were super easy. simple quick projects are rewarding and VERY motivating!!!
    shopping tote - no more plastic - or paper for that matter!
    baby burp cloths make cool gifts for new moms
    starting with something like this will get you familiar with the machine. when you feel a little confident, buy some cheap fabric and do a test run of the drapes, perhaps for a smaller window?