Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
gram999

Maternity Jeans

gram999
14 years ago

My granddaughter asked me to make a pr of her jeans into maternity pants. I found all kinds of info on how, but not how long to cut the elastic. She's due in July so has a lot of "growing" to do yet. I measured her waist & it is 35" at present.

Thanks for any advice.

Comments (12)

• kathi_mdgd
    14 years ago

Why not make a knit(t-shirt) insert instead of just using elastic.That way her tummy will be covered,and you can sew it with a big enough stitch that it can be easily removed later.
    Also if she's not too fussy,tell her to check the goodwill,i've seen lots of maternity jeans in there for just a couple dollars.
    Kathi

• oilpainter
    14 years ago

I assume this is for the waist band. It would have been helpful if you told us how the waist was made

Use navy elastic. Sew through elastic and waist band on one side. Run the elastic through a casing in the center stretchy tummy part and sew hook of the velcro on the end of the elastic. Sew a long piece of the smooth part on the waist band. Then she can make it the right size to fit her growing tummy

• gram999
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Thanks for your speedy replies.

I should have mentioned that I found some instructions online. I cut the waistband out of the front & back & cut a "U" shape out of the front, cutting most of the zipper part out. I tore the zipper out & sewed that part shut. She bought some lycra to put in this area, so it will have a casing all around.

I suggested she go to thrift stores, but I think she wants me to feel "useful". Nobody but me sews, so they make me feel useful a LOT. :)

• oilpainter
    14 years ago

gram999
    You are singing my song--thanks for the chuckle!!

• birdtalker
    14 years ago

what I did on my last pregnancy was to unzip the zipper, put a loop of elastic through the button hole, and loop it around the button. The top covers the belly. The OB doctor was surprised. I guess you can't do that with jeans. But if they make you feel too 'useful', suggest this.

• gram999
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Thaks oilpainter & birdtalker.

She just bought a pr of maternity pants that has that elastic in it with buttonholes with extra for "expansion". I'll use that if I can find it or cut the elastic longer & safety pin the extra length.

I've leanred, finally, that I can say no once in awhile. Particularly when asked to sew a HUGE insulated shade. If I won't do something for me...

• susanjn
    14 years ago

Tell her about the BellaBand! It is a firm stretchy fabric that allows you to wear non-maternity pants while pregnant.

Here is a link that might be useful: BellaBand

• gram999
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Thanks, Susan. That could be made out of a pc. of Spandex--which I just happen to have. I'll whip that up today.

• susanjn
    14 years ago

gram999,

If you haven't made it yet, I can measure one to tell you the exact measurements. Just let me know what size.

• gram999
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Thank you, Susan. I took the jeans with the Spandex sewed on for my GD to try on. I knew I would have to cut quite a bit off. When she tried them on, the jeans would hardly fit. If she gains another .lb, they'll be up for grabs.

The spandex was so long that she doubled it over & said she could just wear them like this for now, so that project is done. I guess you could say it ended up being a wide Bella Band. I told her if she bought another pr., I could cut that band off & use it again. I hope she doesn't! :)

• susanjn
    13 years ago

The BellaBand is pretty wide and can be worn doubled over. In fact a lot of maternity pants are made that way so the wearer can choose to wear them over or under the belly.

I saw what looked like a good system at my supermarket of all places. It looked pretty easy to make. Link below.

Here is a link that might be useful: Fertile Mind belly belt combo

• gram999
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Thanks again, Susan. I checked that out & it looks like it would be very easy to make something like that. I love that idea!!!

Sponsored
Old Dominion Kitchen Design
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars29 Reviews
Loudoun County's Kitchen & Bath Design Experts | Best of Houzz 3x