Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
swngdncr

Fix babylock or buy new

swngdncr
16 years ago

Hello. I have an older babylock pro at least ten yes old, maybe more. I'm wondering whether to get it fixed or buy new. Sometimes older technology just isnt worth the investment to repair, and sometimes they just don't build em like that any more. It was hi end when I bought it , has differential feed and I think if does 2,3,4.... Feed dogs don't seem to be working right. Haven't used it in years due to a one year remodel taking 4.can't

Affford much right now, but fear repair could be as much as new . Appreciate any advice.

Comments (7)

• kathi_mdgd
    16 years ago

My White 534 bit the dust a couple weeks ago.I took it in last week and they called me saturday and said mine can't be fixed.Seems the gears are shot and the company that originally made them went out of business several years ago,and they couldn't find any anywhere during their search.

I didn't feel bad about it,as i got my moneys worth plus from it.I had had it 2 months shy of 25 years,and when i got it ,it was the top of the line.

So i think i'll be getting a new one,will probably wait til this weekend as my b'day is thursday and i usually get money for that,and this year is my big 70th,so may get even more.So instead of buying a bunch of little stuff,i'll get a new serger.Works for me.LOL

I looked at the elnas while i was there last week and they had a nice one with differential feed for 399.00.It was a 344 model if memory serves me correctly.Think i'll google it and see what is said about it before i commit.

So for you i'd say take your machine in and hopefully they'll give you a free estimate,They did me,then again i got mine there.Have an idea what you are willing to pay to fix it,then go from there.
    HTH
    Kathi

• msmeow
    16 years ago

I agree with Kathi - take it to a shop and see what they say. It's kind of like with an old car...sooner or later you have to decide if it's still worth putting repair money into it or if your money would be better spent on a new one.

I had my MIL's very old New Home serger and hardly ever used it because it was SO frustrating to try to thread it. Finally one day DH said, "Just go buy a new one!" and I found a very basic White model at Hancock's for less than $200. Even though it's a very basic model, it's light years easier/better than the old machine.

Donna

• loganhogan
    16 years ago

Kathi,
    I just had to say Happy Birthday to You!
    Susan

• kathi_mdgd
    16 years ago

Thank you Susan.
    Kathi

• lizzie2
    16 years ago

Happy Birthday, Kathi...keep sewing.

I have a White that is around 20 years old and a 936 Viking. 3 daughters, 4-H advisor and do sewing for people, so the machines here get a work out. The only reason we got the 936 was the cover stitch. It made constructing dance outfits easier and more professional looking. Usually the 936 is set up for cover stitch and the White does the rest. If the serger does all you want it to do, repair it. I have even had to have the lower loopers repaired on the White...it was expensive (never leave anyone serge a berger fleece robe when you are not in the room)but I love the machine. Just the dance wear business made the newer machine and the timing of the contracts (4Hseason) made having both sergers a great idea.

• kathi_mdgd
    16 years ago

Thanks Lizzie for the b'day wishes.Now about my serger,they called and said mine can't be fixed.Seems the gears are gone and the place that made them all those years ago went out of business several years ago,and they couldn't find any other place that has them.So it looks like i'll be getting a new serger.

That's fine with me,i sure got my moneys worth out of the white,and hope i get as much luck with the new one.Of course that would mean i'd have to live and sew til i'm 95.LOL,LOL
    Kathi

• budster
    16 years ago

Have fun looking at all those new sergers on the market. Don't forget to look into the trade-ins as well. Sometimes you can find a real bargain for half the price. Budster

Sponsored
Franklin County's Custom Kitchen & Bath Designs for Everyday Living