Return to the Sewing Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Need name of stitch

Posted by NATEBEAR (My Page) on
Wed, Mar 5, 14 at 16:19

I need to have a shirt alterned that doesn't lay right, as it's a little too wide across the chest. I've seen the backs of some shirts where there is some stitching & maybe some elastic in the center at about the bra line.

Does anyone know what that would be called?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Need name of stitch

I don't know about the elastic, but it sounds like you are talking about gathering the material at the bottom edge of the back yoke, or where a back yoke would be. That wouldn't be a special stitch, unless you have a gathering foot on your machine. I may not be understanding your description, though.

o

Are you thinking of "darts"?
One type of dart is called "Princess Seaming".
See link below.

I don't know of elastic ever being used in darts or princess seams...

Here is a link that might be useful: What is a Dart

o

Wouldn't it be easier to take in the sides of the shirt?

Are you going to do this yourself?

If you're taking it to a tailor or seamstress, he or she should know how to alter your shirt. You shouldn't have to tell him.

o

Thanks for the replies, everyone. While doing laundry, I noticed my daughter's shirt had the type of seaming I was asking about.
http://i155.photobucket.com/albums/s287/daisymaeplease/GardenWeb/015_zps7713322e.jpg
http://i155.photobucket.com/albums/s287/daisymaeplease/GardenWeb/016_zpsd4a98f2f.jpg
http://i155.photobucket.com/albums/s287/daisymaeplease/GardenWeb/017_zps236f270c.jpg
Evaf555, you're right. The seamtress should know what she's doing. Although, I always find it helpful to be armed with your own knowledge whenever possible. I took the shirt in and she suggested taking up the shoulders. Fingers crossed. :)

o

Trying pictures again...
 photo 015_zps7713322e.jpg
 photo 016_zpsd4a98f2f.jpg
 photo 017_zps236f270c.jpg

This post was edited by NATEBEAR on Sat, Mar 8, 14 at 20:00

o

That's just a regular straight stitch sewn while the elastic is stretched out.

o

"shirring"

It's just several rows of large stitches, pulled up to gather the material. Or slightly stretched elastic, sewn to the shirt then relaxed.

o

What the two before me said. And very easy to do.

o

Love the kitties. Don't see how 'taking up the shoulders' will alter in the bust area.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Sewing Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here