Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
kathielo

Touch & Sew 620 tension problem

kathielo
16 years ago

I posted a question on pivoting problems, because when I turn corners, etc, the stitches seem loose and don't give me a good point stitch.

But in my attempt to resolve that problem, I may have created another one. I was trying to tighten the tension to see if that was the pivoting problem and my tension dial did not go any higher than #5. Thinking it was as high as it could go, I turned it the other way, down towards 0 and the dial came off in my hand. So I screwed it back on, but there is a loose cap behind the dial. Is that the way it is supposed to be? It does fit into the dial if I push them together but they don't stay together because there is a spring between them. Also my tension disks seem very loose now as well. I never play around with my tension if I don't have to so even though I sew a lot, I never really noticed if these disks are supposed to be that loose or did I mess them up when the dial came off.

I recently had this machine repaired for a timing issue and now I am questioning the repairmans qualifications. He works on his own (retired singer salesman) and I had to take the machine back three times before it worked. And then I wound up taking it to a VacWay locally for them to repair it finally. So I didn't mess around with the settings because everything seemed to be ok until I started having this pivoting problem.

Again, it is a Singer Golden Touch and Sew Model 620....41 yrs old. my favorite.... Hope you can help resolve the problem.

Oh, it is sewing but the stitches seem loose on the bobbin side. Keeping the tension at 5 did seem to help with the pivoting issue though. Thanks.

Comments (16)

• kathi_mdgd
    16 years ago

(((((((((((((((((((((((Kathieo))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))

Seems like today is your day for problem,i'm sorry!!

I don't have this machine,but i surmise you may have thrown the tension off completely by taking it apart.I used to have the singer 640 many years ago and i remember a spring behind the tension dial.It wasn't terribly loose though,you could feel the drag on your thread as you pulled it through.If yours is pulling through too easy and your not feeling that drag ,then you may have to take it back in and have it fixed.I really don't think this is something you can fix yourself,in fact you may make it worse by trying to do so.Some things are better left to the experts.JMO Good luck,hope it's a quick fix.
    Kathi

• loganhogan
    16 years ago

I have a 600 (44 yrs old) and it has the spring too. I never set the tension on it above 3. I wonder if your spring is sprung? I second taking it to the repair shop.
    Susan

• kathielo
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Thanks for the advice...I'm off to the repair shop.

• budster
    16 years ago

Kathieo, Would you post what they tell you at the repair shop...just out of interest for those of us with T&S machines. Thanks Budster

• damascusannie
    16 years ago

Kathie--I don't come over here very often (I hang out at the quilting forum) but did notice your question. It may or may not help for you to know that in the sewing machine repair industry, these are known as Touch and Swears. They are notoriously difficult to repair and many dealers/repairmen refuse to even touch them any more. You are lucky to have someone in your area that will.

I agree that you probably put something together incorrectly or that the spring is worn out, but you might also have to consider the possibility that the machine in general is at the end of its life span. 40 years is a long time when one considers that the machine was most likely designed to sew a maximum of 20 years.

(BTW--I collect vintage sewing machines and most of my sewing is done on machines from the 1920s-30s, with the exception of my free-motion quilting machine which dates to the 50s.)

Annie

• loganhogan
    16 years ago

Kathie,
    I too have heard what Annie has said about the bad raps some T&S's have. The first one I had was purchased used in 1976 and it never worked as well as Mother's. It had the dial cams instead of the drop in cams. It was dropped when we moved in 1989 and couldn't be repaired. The one I have that's from 1964 I would walk through fire for. It is a workhorse. I'd pay $100 to get it fixed if it had a problem.
    Susan

• damascusannie
    16 years ago

Among collectors, the general feeling is that most machines made after 1970 are simply not built as well as those built prior to that. (Actually, we aren't that polite when we talk about them!) Any machine that's given you 40+ years of good sewing has more than paid its dues and certainly outlived its projected life-expectancy. You'll probably never find a new machine that will give you anywhere near that kind of performance.

Annie

• kathielo
    Original Author
    16 years ago

I picke up my Touch and Sew today. The work order said, set timing, set tensions, lube and service. I guess that is standard no matter what the problem because I didnt ask for anything but the tension issues to be fixed. But it was probably due anyway, it has been over a yr.

Budster, as far as their saying anything about the T&S in general, there was nothing. The man who worked on it just explained the tension dial and how the set screw works and that it probably was not set right and that is why the dial came right off. He said to keep it on #4. Like I said earlier, I ususally don't have to adjust the tension very often.

So, I'm back in operation...hopefully for another 10 yrs. or "sew".

Thanks all for your input.

So many posters rave about their Berninas, Janomes, Brothers, etc. Are they not all they are cracked up to be?
    Do they require a lot of repairs? For those of you who own these machines, what is your biggest gripe about them?

• budster
    16 years ago

loganhogan brought up the fact her first T&S was a dial cam model. I had heard and read the T&S models with drop in cams were better made. I don't know if that is true overall but it is an interesting point to keep in mind. Kathieo - I am sure what they did to fix your problem was pretty standard and it never hurts to have a machine looked at once in a while by a techie. I am sure you will be sewing along quite nicely for a good long while. I own an Elna SU which has given me years of great service and sews anything thrown at it. I also have a couple of Singers (which are from the 40's and late 60's - and run like charms when I use them) and I have a Pfaff overlock machine (now l9 years old and going strong). For me I have been pleased with the Singers, my Elna and Pfaff and should I purchase a new machine......I'd stick to the Elna and Pfaff lines first but am always willing to test drive any machine that appeals to me. Budster

• kathielo
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Budster and all....I had to take my machine back to the repair shop today because although the tension disks/dial was fixed, it did nothing for my original problem...loose pivoting stitches. The guy said he didn't think there was an actual fix for that problem but he tightened the set screw in the metal bobbin holder (the part that can be removed to clean underneath. He said that tightens the upper thread tension and the dial tightens the bobbin thread. Anyway, it did seem to make the pivoting stitches a little better.

Once again, he, like the others, said "You've got a good little machine there." Everyone says that. And it is purring like a kitten now as well.

Kathie

• kathi_mdgd
    16 years ago

That's GR8 Kathie,glad your luck was better than mine!! My serger can't be fixed so i have to get a new one.Will probably go tomorrow as the sewing machine store has a sale going on ,and i love sales.LOL
    Kathi

• budster
    16 years ago

Did they charge you for your second visit? I would hope not seeing as the problem didn't seem to get fixed. Did you get a glow of happiness when you heard those lovely words "You got a good little machine there." I love hearing things like that. thanks for the update. Budster

• kathielo
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Budster, no charge for the revisit to the repair shop. They guarantee their work for 90 days. In fact, the man who fixed it (owner)said to let him know if there were other problems. It is the woman in that shop that is so rude it makes you dread going there.

Still glowing, Kathie

• a7yrstitch
    16 years ago

Hi, just registered for GardenWeb (first forum ever). I am having problems with my new Babylock Espire jamming and was trying to find the lady who had lived in Japan and moved to S. California who loves her Espire to see if she can help. Had sewn over 25 years on my trusty Pfaff 1229 and am beginning to think that the Babylock is very particular about perfect needles. This is the second time this has come up and it was resolved with new needle. Honestly, in very few hours (maybe even minutes) of sewing, I have had more jamming issues than in 25 years of lots of sewing on previous machine. Thread just winds up around little arm that sits behind drop-in bobbin. Obviously dealer was closed when I sat down with the machine tonight. Thanks

• Marcia Marrs
    8 years ago

I had a Touch n Sew years ago and loved it. I had a problem with bird's nests developing on the underside of the fabric and asked about it where I had purchased the machine. The owner advised me that I had installed another brand of needle and would do better with a Singer needle. It worked.