Return to the Sewing Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
altering pleated sheers

Posted by bananafana (My Page) on
Thu, Mar 7, 13 at 14:38

Hi. I'm going to alter ready-made pleated sheers for my mother-in-law. Need to make them less wide. I'm a bit paralyzed with fear about the whole deal.

The traverse rod is not installed yet and I've got maybe 3 or 4 inches of width wiggle room with the rod installation.

I've done the math to account for the center overlap (center draw) and the returns on each end. I should be able to get a pleat right at the corners where each return to the wall starts.

What I don't get is should I include a little extra for ease in the total width? And if yes, how much?

My mother-in-law is a perfectionist and has always had custom drapes before this, so she'll notice if I screw it up. Thanks.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: altering pleated sheers

I forgot to say that I'm not re-pleating or anything like that. Just altering from the outer edge and eliminating one pleat and the original return from each panel. I've been sewing for 40 years, so the execution should be ok. I'm mostly worried about the overall measurement and amount of ease, if any.

o

The traverse rod is not installed yet and I've got maybe 3 or 4 inches of width wiggle room with the rod installation.

Wait until the rod is installed, hang the sheers, adjust them to hang nicely starting at the center overlap, and see what needs to be removed.

How much are you planning to remove?

o

lazygardens---yes, that would make more sense, although I do want to get the last pleat right in the corners. But mostly, I wanted to do the job in one trip over to her house so I was hoping to get the drapes done before I put up her rod. Your idea makes a lot of sense....I just wanted the one trip. Thanks.

o

Well if the rods aren't hung yet, then you can hang them to match your alteration....so long as your alteration didn't make them too narrow...

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Sewing Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here