Return to the Sewing Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
sewn arm chair covers

Posted by shirley_2007 (My Page) on
Mon, Mar 5, 07 at 14:19

Hi members:
Just recently (today) joined the Garden Web.
Recently purchased an overstuffed glider rocker which has no arm or head rest.
Would like to protect these surfaces.
Does anyone have a pattern for sewing these.
Already have the material, but don't know just how to do it.
Thanks in advance for any help you could provide.
Shirley_2007

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: sewn arm chair covers

What I did was make a paper pattern tracing the arms and the area of the headrest..added a seam allowance and then made covers which fit over the fabric. I attached them by making the sides of the arms longer on the inside so they could be stuffed below the cushion level, for the head rest it was more of an odd shaped pillowcase you pulled over the actual headrest. It worked for me. I made 2 sets once I found how well the first worked and washed one and used the other as needed. Lasted years and extended the fabric on the chair so it is like new. The fabric I found was a bolt end that didn't exactly match but compliamented the original fabric.

o

Hi Budster:
Thanks for your quick response.
Just wondering how you did the ends of the arm rests. Do the covers enclose the end of the chair or are they open on the end?
This is a light biege chair and really needs to be protected.
Sounds like we have a lot of the same interests. I love to fish, camp, quilt, make homemade soap and weave baskets.
My husband and I are both retired.

o

I left them open but remember that these sleeves fitted on quite tightly (I didn't want things to shift) I could have made the back end enclosed but didn't bother....or had an overlap that closed with velco .....could have worked either way on my chair.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Sewing Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here