Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
sduck2_gw

in search of a new sewing machine

sduck2
15 years ago

Hi all,

I've been a lurker at Gardenweb for a few years, from Kitchens, Pets, knitting patterns, decorating, and just love this site.

Anyhow, I need some direction to start and find a new machine. My 20 year old Brother machine died after 25 years and before that was a Singer table model from the 40's. On a whim, I ran into Joannes Fabrics and picked up a $100 Singer model, which I'm kicking myself for not doing more homework. It's a great machine for beginners, crafters and small projects but sewing is one of my all time hobbys until now. I'm about to venture into slipcovers which will be A LOT of sewing. I'm not enjoying the Singer at all. I noticed a lot of you have the Barnina. I will be sewing lots of seams, some quilting but not embroidery.

Is there a simple good quality machine out there?

Comments (10)

• sduck2
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Anyone with experiance on the Brother Innov-is 40 Project Runway Limited Edition? Consumer Reports just gave it a best buy in 03/09.

• lizzie2
    15 years ago

I think I would ask who makes Brother machines. I know the Viking dealer here also sells Brother and Singer. I have Viking, Bernina, SInger and Kenmore. Out of all of them I love the Bernina the best. I can go from sewing heavy material to sewing a light weight bastiste without changing a thing. I know I should change the needle, the thread and the "stitch advisor" (VIking)...but not on the Bernina. If you can list the Singer on Craigslist or in the paper or at your local Extension Office. 4H starts soon and that beginner sewer may just love your machine. I let my beginners use the Kenmore and the Singer to take home and use to get the projects and they love them. Have fun

• msmarion
    15 years ago

I've had lots of used machines over the years, but I love my Bernina 1260. It's a work horse and that's just what I wanted. I took DH with me to to take them for a test run and had him listen to Bernina Bob (sadly he retired shortly after I purchased my machine) talk about the inner workings. I can mend sleeping bags and snowmobile suits and make prom dress. I've done lots of home dec as well. It's the best machine I've ever owned.
    Good luck in you quest.

• lokuz16
    15 years ago

Sduck - I just recently purchased a Brother Innov-is 900D. So far, so good. You can only get it from a authorized retailer. I would say it's a beginner to intermediate machine. BTW - Brother makes Brother machines and they also make BabyLock. Good luck with your decision! It wasn't an easy one for me... price is was drove it.

• teresa_nc7
    15 years ago

Consumer Reports lists the Pfaff machines as being the best buy for the money. Make a list of what you want to sew (now and in the future) so you will know beforehand what features you want in a new machine and take that list with you when you shop. Also, don't be afraid to look at secondhand machines - they can be a good buy and should be tuned up and sewing perfectly before being offered for sale. Many dealers will give you a warranty on a used machine too!

I'm a Viking person and can speak from experience about their performance, construction, and ease of use. I love my Vikings!

Teresa

• sduck2
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Thanks everyone. I'm off to visit sewing machine stores with everyones advise. I've heard a lot about the Bernina and if I can afford a good machine, that might be the way to go. I'll probably have it forever. (thats how I talk myself into spending the money) I'm also keeping an eye on ebay and Craigslist. I don't want to rush into it like I did with the Singer. The first store doesn't carry Viking or Brother, so I might hold off on buying until I see them all.

Thanks again.

• budster
    15 years ago

Take your time and watch for sales on the models you like, like cars there are new machines coming out all the time and when you find your dream machine, it might be worth your while to wait and see how the prices go.

• soonergrandmom
    15 years ago

My Bernina is over 20 years old and has never been in the shop and has made hundreds of garments. They are wonderful.

• sduck2
    Original Author
    15 years ago

I went to the sewing center in town which did not carry Brother or Bernina. They carried all names that were new to me and all for over 1K. I used my handy GPS to drive another 20 miles only to find the Bernina store is no longer there. I felt like the commercial with the avacado refigerator. Next time I should call first!! Does anyone know of a sewing center in MA? I'm right outside of Boston but will drive.

• debs3
    15 years ago

I have a Bernina 1230 and love it. I hope you can find a good Bernina dealer with a good used Bernina Model 801, 830, 930, 1130, 1230, 1260, 1090, 1080, 1030..... I think you would enjoy any of these.