Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
bayareafrancy

100 hours of alterations. Whew!

bayareafrancy
15 years ago

Oh wow--I can't believe how long this has taken me! Not actually 100 hours, but I worked almost nonstop on Monday, Tuesday, and Wednesday. For like, 8 hour days! My poor neglected son. He has done so well with playdough, legos, coloring, etc. while I am sewing. But his patience is completely used up, and I sure do owe him some major mama-time. (Dee--if you are reading this--how are your churning out those lovely bags so fast?? You must have the sewer's gene!)

I'm super longwinded, so be prepared for a looooong post! :-)

So, here was the plan: take my retro apron pattern, and alter it a bit to make it a "retro smock" that I could actually wear outside the house. To do this, I needed to shorten it quite a bit, make the armholes and neck and shoulders smaller, and take in the sides.

I thought it would be fairly straightforward.

And maybe it would have been if I'd had any experience in doing such a thing.

As I stared at my brand new fabric (a wild, very mod, 60's pattern of daisies--lots of classic brown and orange colors), I wondered, could I just wing it with my lovely fabric? Luckily, I didn't!! I got an old muslin type curtain, and did a rough, altered smock. (Prompting my husband to make the obligatory "Whatcha making Scarlett" comment.)

Baaaaaaad. Very bad. Lopsided. The sides tapered way too much, and pooched out like crazy.

I went searching in the attic and found an old tablecloth. I tried again. A little better. Getting the new angles of the shoulders, neck, and armpits was harder than I though. So was the taper of the sides. Much harder than I thought! I also wanted to make the front longer than the back (like a maternity shirt), because I am kind of busty, and I just hate hate hate it when my tops hang longer in the back than the front. This was an especially hard modification for me--getting the slant right as the back connected to the front.

Luckily the tablecloth was big, so I took tablecloth-smock-#1 and tried using it as a trial run template/pattern to make another one. Ok, this one was pretty close to what I wanted. Just a little more tinkering...

Just getting my new pattern they way I wanted it took a full 8 hour day on Monday. Wow--I was not expecting that. This is so much harder than I imagined! I am in awe of all you custom apparel makers out there!!

On Tuesday I began with 1 muslin smock, 2 tablecloth smocks, and a newly created paper pattern. I got out my "mod daisy explosion" fabric. I held my breath. With trembling hands, I cut. I pinned. I sewed. I "reverse sewed" (i.e. got the seam ripper) when I realized I had sewn the front right side to a back wrong side. I sewed the other back side on (there are 2 back pieces). I reverse sewed again when I made the same darn mistake with that piece!! Wake up Francy! I raised and resewed the shoulers. I raised and resewed just one shoulder. I altered the other shoulder again. I finally started to put on the 5 feet of edging in one long piece, which was tangled around my neck and shoulders, and trailing across the floor as I sewed.

That took pretty much all of Tuesday. And I still needed to make the pockets.

On Wednesday, I tried it on, and decided it was not "wear out of the house" caliber. But why? It was short and tapered. But it definitely looked very apron/paint smocky. Why? Hmmmmm.

Ah ha! Because of the thin, cheap bias tape I bought. The poor quality tape was definitely preventing it from rising to the level of "clothing."

There was only 1 solution: make my own edging out of my daisy fabric. Which took most of the day. Connecting strip after strip after strip. Ironing. Folding. Ironing again. Folding again. But looked so much nicer than the cheap stuff!!! I finally got it all sewn on by about 11pm on Wednesday night.

And it turned out pretty well. For a beginner. I haven't taken any pictures yet, but I will today if I have the nerve to wear it outside the house (those brown and orange daisies are a lot louder and brighter than I thought they would be).

I think this smock would actually be a fantastic maternity top! The flaps in the back make it self adjusting to any size tummy, and it can go over already-owned knit shirts, saving on the cost of new maternity tops. Too bad I'm probably done with maternity wear myself. If only I were a real seamstress, I might consider trying to find an audience for these.

And now, I think I will take a short break from the Touch & Sew. I have some socks I need to finish knitting, and a literal mountain of laundry waiting for me (I should take a photo of that scary sight!). I really want to make a waterproof (oilcloth) bag to carry my knitting in. Maybe in a couple weeks I can try that. After the house is cleaned, the groceries bought, the socks finished, the child paid attention to, etc. etc. etc.

If you made it this far, I hope this was entertaining and informative.

Time to go put on my smock!

:-)

francy (never at a loss for words, words, words)

Comments (8)

• budster
    15 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

You did very well.....and what patience! You definately have the heart of a born sewer....you see things where others don't....you think outside the box......you IGNORE - housework, children, laundry, husbands...not in that order. You have vision, you have second-sight! You have more projects in mind even before you finish the one you are working on. I bet your dear T&S has had more workouts with you than ever before (after spending years in the back of someone's closet - your mom's wasn't it?). Just wait until your DH arrives home to find you no longer have a comforter on the bed but the bathroom is now decked out in matching showercurtain, window treatment, toilet tank cover and shower cap, that resemble the comforter fabric. I forget who it was posted about a granddaughter sporting a lovely new spring dress and then realizing it was made from Grannie's old shower curtain. I like that kind of thinking....so now pour the tea dear....I'm sure it's ready....cookie you say....don't mind if I do - homemade of course with the children's help no doubt. Something about your apron makes me want cupcakes however......have any on hand?

• dee_can1
    15 years ago

"francy - (Dee--if you are reading this--how are your churning out those lovely bags so fast?? You must have the sewer's gene!)"

I'm definitely reading, francy : ) I enjoy reading about your (and everyone's) projects. The bags? Well, they are mostly squares, so I think makes the job quicker to put togther. You're doing things like altering patterns, and making your own bias tape, so it's totally understandable why it's more time-consuming. You're doing a great job - your apron came out so well. You'll have to post photos of your smock! : )

And um, my bag production has come to a grinding halt. I ran out of some of the materials, so I have to replenish those in the next few days.

I'm interested in your oilcloth bag project. : )

• bayareafrancy
    Original Author
    15 years ago

*sip* *sip*

*crunch* *crunch* *crunch*

(I just LOVE tea time!)

But bad news! I tried on my smock, and the front is hanging very weird! It actually pooches waaaay forward, and it looks like I am 6 months pregnant. I have no idea why this is happening. It is very strange. I can smooth it down, and then if I kind of swing back and forth, the front of the smock literally grows! I can watch the fabric actually pull out in the front!

I thought maybe the fabric just needed to be washed. So I washed and dried it. It still does it.

All I can think is that:

1. when I put on the pockets, I somehow gathered the fabric between them so there is a permanent pooch/pouch?

2. I pulled the binding too much in some places (but where?), and that is making the front swell forward?

It is truly bizarre. It didn't do this before I put the edging on. I don't know if it started after I put the pockets on.

I guess the easiest thing to try is to remove a pocket. But is that doesn't work, then my dear smock will be relegated to apron status. No way, no how am I removing that endless bias tape!

Shoot--I'll bet it is the !@#$%^& bias tape.

Grrrrrrrrrrrrr.

francy

• budster
    15 years ago

Ah, the lovely....I ate a whole watermelon myself look.

• budster
    15 years ago

Ah, the lovely....I ate a whole watermelon myself look.

• rosefolly
    15 years ago

We all make wadders. So discouraging, isn't it? But the chance to have something unique and fit just to ourselves lures us back again.

Rosefolly

• malapert
    15 years ago

Could you add a couple darts to the front and eliminate the pooch? Darts would seem 60's-ish too. :)

WTG on your perseverance! I soooo feel your pain!

• sheesh
    15 years ago

I think the pockets would be in the way of darts. The pooch is probably cute, anyway.

Sponsored
Davidson Builders
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars1 Review
Franklin County's Full-Scale General Contractor