Return to the Sewing Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Janome MC-3000 vs Brother NS-40

Posted by beckwards (My Page) on
Mon, Mar 31, 08 at 12:39

Hi everyone,

I am in the process of deciding which sewing machine to purchase. I am somewhat new to machine sewing (a little experience, but not tons), but learn quickly. I plan to use it for clothing, quilting, and some upholstery work.

I have the choice of
- a used Janome MemoryCraft 3000, with a lovely assortment of quilting and buttonhole feet and adjustable presser foot pressure, but no warranty from the shop. $300. I've seen a lot of good reviews of this machine while looking around online. OR I could get ...
- a new Brother NS-40, one of the smaller Project Runway models. It has a couple more stitches than the Janome, but is otherwise pretty comparable, as far as I could tell. With warranty, of course, and the first cleaning is free at the store of purchase. $400, plus the cost of quilting feet to get me going. No reviews online to read, because it is a newer model.

I have done test drives of both, and like them both. I might like the Janome a little more, but it could be because it's not pink. ;) In your opinion, is one preferable to the other for a wide range of uses, taking into account the warranty (or lack thereof)?

Thanks for your thoughts!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Janome MC-3000 vs Brother NS-40

I've never had either machine,but the reviews i read when i googled the Janome were all good,and i do know they make good machines as a few of my friends have them and have had no problem.

Sit down with paper and write down the pros and cons of each.Personally i think i'd go with one with a guarantee and easy access to a support system.

Kathi

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Sewing Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here