Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
beckwards

Janome MC-3000 vs Brother NS-40

beckwards
16 years ago

Hi everyone,

I am in the process of deciding which sewing machine to purchase. I am somewhat new to machine sewing (a little experience, but not tons), but learn quickly. I plan to use it for clothing, quilting, and some upholstery work.

I have the choice of

- a used Janome MemoryCraft 3000, with a lovely assortment of quilting and buttonhole feet and adjustable presser foot pressure, but no warranty from the shop. $300. I've seen a lot of good reviews of this machine while looking around online. OR I could get ...

- a new Brother NS-40, one of the smaller Project Runway models. It has a couple more stitches than the Janome, but is otherwise pretty comparable, as far as I could tell. With warranty, of course, and the first cleaning is free at the store of purchase. $400, plus the cost of quilting feet to get me going. No reviews online to read, because it is a newer model.

I have done test drives of both, and like them both. I might like the Janome a little more, but it could be because it's not pink. ;) In your opinion, is one preferable to the other for a wide range of uses, taking into account the warranty (or lack thereof)?

Thanks for your thoughts!

Comment (1)

Sponsored
Virginia Kitchen & Bath
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars151 Reviews
Virginia's Award Winning One Stop Kitchen & Bath Remodeling Resource