Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
itzthor

Custom Pattern

itzthor
15 years ago

I am new to sewing. In fact I've only done one project and that was done from the top of my head with no pattern. It was a two piece, oval dog bed. Not the prettiest thing but the dog likes it and the wife says it looks good (she says I'm a good cook though so I can't trust her opinion).

Anyways, I am disabled from a car accident and sometime I have to sleep sitting up. Doing this for over a year while fighting with pillows has forced me to come up with a design for a custom pillow. This is where my problem comes in. I have no clue how to make a pattern and there are no pillow designs out there that even come close to what I need. I've looked at several pieces of pattern creating software, but they are all just for clothing. So my question is: Does anyone know of any software that will help me create this thing. I'm not opposed to having a person design a pattern for me, but, I am nervous about it since I may end up marketing it and cannot patent it until I have a actual pattern.

Comments (4)

• debs3
    15 years ago

Hello itzthor, sounds like you have a great thing to offer and would be the perfect person to design it.

I have some quesions for you. Is it possible for you to do the design on paper versus a computer program? Do you have several different pillow patterns you want to create? Will the pillow(s) come in custom sizes?

I have included a link to Threads Magazine where they have links to three different companies offering pattern drafting software. You have probably already looked at these, but each of these offer a program specifically for accessories and maybe your pillow(s) would fit into this type of program.

If you were to contact them they may be able to tell you if their program would work for your pillow(s).

Try contacting Garment Designer first, as years ago I heard that their software was the most flexible in allowing you to change and adjust lines. Software changes so fast, who knows maybe they all allow more flexibility now.

Please note that I do not have experience using pattern drafting software, I hope some else on the forum can offer you some experienced help.

Here is a link that might be useful: Links to Drafting Software Companies

• itzthor
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Thank you for your input. Here are answers to your questions.

I could design it on paper, but seeing as I have no experience in pattern design, and very minimal experience in sewing, I don't know about seam allowance and what not. In fact, I'm not sure how to determine when I will need individual pieces that need to be sewn together or how to design curves. And a majority of the design uses curves. But if I can't get software to design it then I think I'll try making a 3-D model out of paper so I can experiment with the overall design without wasted fabric.

So far I just have the one design to work with. Once it is done I might try modifications for different applications. And more than likely it would just be the one size. I might try for a child size and maybe something suitable for airplanes though. Who knows, I could end up setting a new standard for airplane pillows :p .

But my first priority is to get the first one made and fine tune the pattern. After that I can work on copyrighting and then look into mass production.

• debs3
    15 years ago

I have a few of ideas for you. These are just ideas, take them or leave them, only you can determine what may work for you.

1) Could you, using some old pillows and string, wrap and tie the pillow(s) into the shape you want? Then drape and pin fit the pillow with muslin (inexpensive cotton fabric) to see what you can come up with. You will probably need three or four separate pieces of muslin, pinning them together as you go. After you have the muslin fitted and have mark all of your stitching lines, take it apart and transfer the patten to paper, then add you seam allowance, then test your pattern. You will most likely use 1/4" seam allowance. (Draping is another way to create a pattern versus flat pattern where you create it on flat paper.)

2) You may later want to try a stretch fabric. Like the covers on the foam "Contour" pillows.

3) Buy these two patterns for stuffed animals and learn a lot by making them.

They are in the "Crafts" category, on the left hand side, at www.mccallpattern.com. One is 3 dogs (pattern #M5676) and the other is sewing caddies (pattern #5291). To me these look like they would give you the most experience.

http://www.mccallpattern.com/item/M5676.htm?tab=crafts&page=2

http://www.mccallpattern.com/item/M5291.htm?tab=crafts&page=4

4) How about getting or creating a foam block and carving it into the shape you desire. Then drape it using muslin to create your pattern.

A friend who sews a lot or a little, could be a big help.

I am just throwing some ideas out there.

• msmarion
    15 years ago

If you can draw it a good seamstress, tailor or upholster should be able to tell you how to draw your pattern pieces. I'd make in muslin first and use 1/2" seam allowances. It should have a removeable cover for laundering. You could use a zipper or hook and loop tape. I with you luck with your project.