Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
grammie2maddie

baby lock vs. jem gold??????

grammie2maddie
15 years ago

I'm investigating a new machine for classes only. I already have a Viking D1 which I'm very happy with. However, I'm getting a major hernia lugging it to class!

Does anyone know how much the Baby Lock Grace weighs????? I've looked all over the internet and can't find it - also, the dealers don't even know - 'the box weighs 17 lbs.', but the two I've asked don't know the actual weight of the machine.

Please, please give me advice about the Baby Lock Grace vs. the Jem Gold 700 series. I love the needle down function, so I'd like that.

I need this machine pretty ASAP, so please let me know what you think.

TIA!!!!

Comments (2)

• teresa_nc7
    15 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

Does the Grace have a model number? I can't find it on my go-to web site Sewing Patterns Review. After reading further, it may be that the Grace (BL40A) replaces the BL40 model, so you can read this review:

What the reviewer likes about this machine
    "This machine is efficient, easy to use, and loaded with features. An excellent choice for a beginning to intermediate sewer (maybe more advanced, too) who plans on making garments, quilts and other projects. This machine does just about everything you would ever need, with plenty of adjustable stitches. Really, there is little need for more stitches than you have on here!

I would say this machine is probably more for the casual sewer than someone who plans to use it as a workhorse. Although, I have no doubts it could handle it. It's just that if you are going to need a workhorse, you will probably need some of the features that this machine didn't have (that the next level up does).

I got this machine when I was looking for a new, computerized one. It was reasonably priced and I needed a computerized machine that took the guesswork out of sewing. I didn't think I'd be sewing all that much, either. When I got it, I loved it! It's so easy to use (like SOOOOO easy to use), with many great features like the autothreader and all the stitches. It's easy to figure out which stitches to use and how to adjust them. It has a start/stop button option and adjustable stitch speed. I can even make buttonholes in one step! Hooray! It did everything I wanted and then more. I think it has an adjustable needle position. I never really researched that feature, but it had straight stitches that could go to the left and middle and right--not sure if that counts.

Everything about this machine is easy and wonderful. I was sewing- and sewing machine-phobic and it cured all my ills. It turns out I used it so much that I decided to upgrade to the Decorator's choice for more features (see the next section).

What the reviewer does not like about this machine
    When it became clear I was going to use this machine a TON and needed an adjustable presser foot (sort of essential for BabyLock machines if you sew many differing weights of fabrics because it will NOT let you sew if the presser foot is up), I upgraded to the Decorator's choice which had this feature. I became very into sewing handbags, which requires this due to the extremely thick fabric I was sewing through. I kept running into errors from using so many thick layers of fabric.

This machine gives you errors by flashing "Err" on the screen. Not a big deal, because it's usually pretty clear what the problem is, but sort of annoying none the less. I wish it had an automatic thread cutter and a faster auto-threader, but I certainly cannot complain. Some people might be sad about the lack of the knee-presser-foot-lifter, but I didn't care about that.

This is a GREAT machine and I highly recommend it, especially if you don't need the features I mention here."

You could always call or email at the Contact Us page on the Baby Lock web site.

Here is a link to some reviews of the Jen Gold. Scroll down to see them.

Here is a link that might be useful: Janome and Jem Gold reviews

• anitastitch
    15 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

I was looking on line at a thread on Baby Locks. The A Line series starting from the biggest and most expensive, goes from Natalie, Maria, Grace, Audrey and then lists a surger (Lauren). The only machine they mention the weight of was Audrey (12.8 lbs.), So I would guess that Grace weighs more than that, as it's not being marketed as a take to class machine like Audrey--not to say that you can't take it anyway.
    I see a lot of class sewing machines in my quilting classes, but haven't seen this one yet, so I have no input there, HOWEVER, I've had a few students and met someone at a quilting retreat with Jem Golds. All have had only good things to say about them.
    Let us know what you pick--I'd like to find a class machine myself one of these days.
    For a while, I was looking at the Pfaff Smart line, but read very few good reviews on them.