Return to the Sewing Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Help with hemming an A-line dress?

Posted by malapert (My Page) on
Fri, Mar 20, 09 at 11:03

I'm making a little simple sundress for my daughter, sans pattern. And I've come to the A-line hem and cannot, for the life of me, figure out how to hem it! It's driving me totally batty! Can anyone help explain it to me? I'd consider myself an intermediate sewer (I've just never run across this before).

Thanks!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Help with hemming an A-line dress?

I'm not an expert seamstress, but maybe this will help. Do a basting stitch 1/4 inch from the bottom edge, all the way around. Gently pull the the threads to ease in the edge, taking in the slack just a bit. Press under along the stitching line, then turn or press under along the hem(fold)line and machine or hand stitch your hem. This should eliminate the "pucker" I think you're worried about.

o

That should do it. It has to be a very narrow hem. The hem should lie flat all by itself at center front and center back; you can make tiny snips to the basting stitch and press it up to even out the fullness at the sides of the dress if you need to.

o
Also,

You can try adding a stretch lace hem tape if the fabric is too hard to handle and won't press properly.

o

That's why I line them, to keep from having to try and do the hem, LOL.
Susan

o

Thanks ladies! That helped and I finally was pleased with it.

Susan, I'm intrigued...I always thought lining would be more of a pain but after dealing with that hemline, I'm willing to try lining one. Is there a trick to it? It seems like you'd just make the same dress (sleeveless, of course) and just sew it to the top shoulder seams?? no, you'd still have to hem that. Does anyone have a good link for me? LOL I tried Googling it but got nothing.

Sewing is fast becoming a lost art. :(

o

I did a lot of a-line skirts and dresses in the 60's. One way to handle it even on deep hems is to make little pleats or tucks in the underneath where you are stitching the hem. Just make sure the side seam and center front and back are straight.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Sewing Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here