Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
aggiewife_gw

Elvis costume HELP!

aggiewife
18 years ago

I have to make a costume for an "Elvis Tribute Artist" and I need help. This is for several performances so needs to be more than "just a costume". What fabric would be best? And most of his costumes had these little mirror things on them. Any idea what those are and how they were secured to the fabric?

Any help would be appreciated. Thanks.

Comments (10)

• Rene54
    18 years ago

You have a big job! I would use satin fabric for a shirt and cape ?? not sure what era Elvis you want to do. Do you have any craft stores in the area, there are those large size sequins people are using, as far as mirrors those were like a bead, they had a hold in one end, today there are glues that will hold anything, do a computer search on costumes see if there are supplies that are easy to use. rene

• aggiewife
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Thanks Rene.

I'm not sure what era the costume is but it is a jumpsuit with a big stand-up collar. The jumpsuit shouldn't be that hard - it is the decorating it!

I will be going to a couple of craft stores this week-end and I will look for beads. I will also do an internet search.

Thanks for your help.

Janet

• cmc_97
    18 years ago

Simplicity published a costume pattern that is exactly what you are looking for.

Siplicity 9916
    Size AA 34-38 in. chest
    Size BB 40-44 in. chest

Designers name is Andrea Schewe - which may help with web searches.

It's a jump suit with a high collar, bell bottoms with insets for a focus fabric, and a cape.

You should be able find it on ebay or other on-line sewing pattern resellers. Google on variations of "sew pattern simplicity 9916" with costume, Andrea Schewe, and Elvis added in.

Here's a link to one reseller with a picture of the pattern envelope.

CMC
    PS: McCalls also published a jump suit costume pattern that you could use, but the Simplicity pattern is much better.
    McCalls 7282 or
    McCalls P214

Here is a link that might be useful: Elvis pattern

• aggiewife
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Thanks CMC.

The pattern I have is the McCalls one (which was the only one I could find at the time). The Simplicity one looks sooooo much more authentic. I've gotta get that one!

Thanks for your help!

Janet

• shelly53
    18 years ago

I have made one of Elvis' costumes--white with the stand-up collar. To make the collar stiff, I used a piece of plastic canvas and cut it down to fit the neckband. Tacked it in and also tacked the corners of the collar to the jacket for it to stay. Used glue on jewels from the craft store. LOTS OF WORK!!!!!Shelly53@longlines.com

• aggiewife
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Thanks Shelly, I'll have to try that. I know I have some plastic canvas is my stash of craft supplies. I'll have to dig it out.

I know it is going to be a lot of work. He gave me a picture of what he would like for it to look like. Yikes! Lots of studs and jewels!

I'll try to post a picture if I ever finishe it.

Janet

• aggiewife
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Finally finished it.

• cmc_97
    18 years ago

Aggiewife,

Excellent!

Elvis looks, well, very Elvis-like.

Great job! Thanks for posting the picture.

CMC

• tealcatfan
    18 years ago

Oh my Lands you did a excellent job. Please pat yourself on the back. I could never do that you are something if you can do that.
    Very Good and Elvis he looks pretty good too..

• aggiewife
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Thanks. It took a lot of time but it really wasn't that hard to do. Thanks for the help I got here.