Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
dody40_gw

Even Feed Presser Foot

dody40
14 years ago

I have been searching on-line to find where I can buy different presser feet for my machines. I am specfically, at this time, looking for an even feed pressure foot. My machine models are 722G (A very nice old one that my dear departed sister used to own) and model # 7033 that I have had close onto 20 years.(both are Singers)

I have been making lap robes for the great grandchildren made out of two layers of a nice soft pile and satin blanket binding. I do a lot of heavy pinning to hold everything in place, but it slips on me and I have quite a hard time with it.

If anyone can help me find where to buy these feet, or give me some hints on how to stop the slippage, I would so appreciate it.

dody

Comments (20)

• oilpainter
    14 years ago

I don't think another foot would help if you are sewing the binding on the edge of 2 layers of heavy fleece. The fleece sits high and the binding low. You could try inserting the blanket into the tape as far as it would go and then sew, but satin is slippery and it may still move.
    I wouldn't even use binding if I were making a blanket with 2 layers of fleece.

I made a throw for my living room that way. I simply sewed the 2 layers together leaving an opening to turn it out the right way. This I handstitched after it was turned. Then I put a decorative stitch all around it about 1/2 inch in. It looks quite good

• pris
    14 years ago

Are you trying to sew all four layers together at the same time? If so, consider sewing your fleece together on the regular seam line. Measure down to where you want the binding to reach and run a basting stitch there. Then open up your binding and sew it on the basting line. Fold over and stitch in the ditch to secure the other side.

• kathi_mdgd
    14 years ago

I do the same as oilpainter.I sometimes add ties for a little more umph.
    Kathi

• dody40
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Thank you Oilpainter and Kathi, I have done that many times and I really like it, turns out perfect every time, but the kids really love the satin binding and I was hoping a 'even feed presser foot' might help me do a smoother job. I will try Pris's method and see how it works for me.

I appreciate your quick replies. I am just getting back into sewing after not doing much for 15 years.

dody

• dody40
    Original Author
    14 years ago

I am sorry, I meant to say Thank You to Pris, also, I am going to try your method. Sorry for the oversight.

dody

• pris
    14 years ago

There was a website someone here linked to on a previous post. She wanted a foot that would allow her to move to the other side of the needle and sew a 1/4" seam. (I think)
    I thought I bookmarked it but evidently not. I searched yesterday but couldn't find it and apparently GW lost that thread when all the older history disappeared.

Anyway. This site had all kinds of specialty feet and accessories for the seamstress. It was really neat and brought me into the 21st century as I hadn't done a lot of sewing in the last 20 years. While searching I ran across the "walking foot". You might try that but, if I remember correctly, it's used for sewing multiple layers of heavy fabric like denim. Your problem has more to do with the fabric being slippery rather than heavy but it's a thought.

• sheba2892
    14 years ago

Hi Dody, I have an extra even feed foot which you are welcome to if you think it will fit your machine. I've gone thru a few singer 920 futura's and have extra attachments, If you call singer maybe they can tell you if it will work or not. I don't know how to go about getting it to you. Let me know thru the post and maybe we can figure it out.

• kathi_mdgd
    14 years ago

Dody,for my GGK'S i made them blamkets/quilts using a cute cotton kid print,batting and satin on the whole back.They drag these everywhere they go,and won't sleep without them.I catch the satin on sale at Joanns quite often.Here's the last one i made last year.This is before i tied it,couldn't quilt it as i had lymphadema in my arm and could barely use it.

{{!gwi}}

Kathi

• dody40
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Sheba, that is so kind of you. I will look into it and see if it will fit my machine.

Pris, I will have to do some more searching and see if I can find the site you are talk about. I am a 'computer dummy' so I have problems searching for things.

Kathi, your quilt is just breathtaking. I will have to steal your idea. (Hope you don't mind)

Here is the first one I did for my granddaughter:

Here is one I did for my grandson. I used just regular bias binding on this one, not near as nice as the satin binding.

dody

• caroline94535
    14 years ago

Dody, I can't help at all with the presser foot, or the binding. I'm just jumping in and hijacking your thread. Forgive me! LOL

I followed another posting when you were re-arranging the livingroom. I want to say you are as sweet and kind looking as I had imagined. It's wonderful to put a face with the name.

And your Grandaughter is beautiful! It must run in the family.

• gram999
    14 years ago

Hi Dody,

I just had to tell you, your post brought back memories. My son was hooked on his "bankie". I have a picture of him in his diaper, sucking his thumb, holding onto the satin while it was hanging on the line. It was white, so he did that quite often while it dried.

I know how important that satin is. He had several blankets with satin, but the white one had the softest satin of all of them.

Can you control the pressure on your pressure foot? If so, it should help to decrease it. Or you might try holding the fabric taut in front of & behind the presser foot. Try it on a little sample first.

We're expecting our first GGD in July, so after I get her quilt done, I'm going to make her a satin bound bankie.

A week ago, I bought a Janome Memory Craft 6600 & absolutely love it. It has an even feed foot built right in--in case you're in the market for a new macine. It was on sale for $1,600. It came with a lot of feet, has many decorative stitches & 4 different fonts for names. I've never had a machine with the needle down or one that cuts the thread before. I'm in heaven.

At our age, we deserve it, & with all the sewing I've done, I've earned it!!!!!!!

Good luck with your projects. Beautiful blankets, btw!

• jaybird
    14 years ago

Here is one site:

www.clotilde.com

(sorry, I don't know how to do an in message link)

Here is a link that might be useful: and here is another

• dody40
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Thanks, Jaybird, for the information. That is what I was looking for, so it does look like sheba's feet would fit my machine.

Sheba, I really don't know how to go about this, but if you would give me the cost of shipping, I will mail you a money order. Really appreciate your offer. Sorry I did not get back to you sooner, but my 'puter was down 'again'. Rats!!!

Gram, I loved the story that you told about your little boy and his blankie. How cute. I can picture it in my mind.

I just got down my serger that has been put up for 15 years, and it is still working. It was all threaded, so I was able to sew out a sample. Of course, it needs a good cleaning and oiling, but the weather has finally turned out so beautiful, that it is going to have to wait. I can hardly stand it to come into the house.

Thank you, Caroline, for your kind words. When you get to me my age (70 in September, they are few and far in between.)

Gram, I just love the sound of your new machine, it sounds like a dream come true. Unfortunately, it is not in my budget, as the economy has not helped us any.

dody

• sheba2892
    14 years ago

Hi Dody, E-mail me at greycbears@sbcglobal.net We'll see how that works. Regards, Sheba

• akrogirl
    14 years ago

Dody, you might want to keep an eye on your local Craigslist and yard sales etc. for an older Pfaff (1471 or later). They have the Pfaff IDT which would be perfect for what you are doing. They tend to fetch a minimum of $200 on ebay if in working condition, but I know a few people have struck lucky and found them for under $50. Good luck with your quilts :-)

• dody40
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Thanks, akrogirl, for the idea. Will definely do that. I did look yesterday, but will keep looking.

dody

• gram999
    14 years ago

Dody, thanks for your nice comments. We're on a limited budget also. I bought my machine at Missouri Sewing Center. They offer no interest for a yr. with a down payment. The customer service is great. All I have to do is call or go in for help with ANYTHING.

I don't like making the payment, but everytime I sew (which is almost every day), I kick myself for not buying a machine like this years ago.

I have a "little" business. Maybe you could come up with something desirable for your area. Sports themed fleece hats, scarves, etc. are good sellers. You can always use a coupon for the fabric & most things take very little.

• dody40
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Gram,

I would so love an embroidery machine. I watch Martha's sewing on TV and love the many things that she does.

I think it is wonderful that you have one. I will definity think on it. I am watching Craig's list for something I can afford, it really is tough having to watch our pennies after all the years of working so hard.

Hubby has a lot of health problems but I do pretty good for my rip ole age of 69 and counting. I love to sew and have set up a pretty convenient sewing room. It is kinda make-shift, but works great for me. I took an ole buffet, stuck a hollow-core door on it for my cutting table.

Enough rambling for now. I do want to thank everyone for their ideas. Bless you all.

dody

• dody40
    Original Author
    14 years ago

I have just received the walking foot that Sheba sent to me. What an angel she is. I do thank her so much. I can already see that it is going to improve the finished product of my blankets. I have played around with it to get used to it and can't wait to start another big project.

Thank you, Sheba. I also thank everyone else for being so kind and helpful.

dody

• gram999
    14 years ago

Hi Dody,

I recently started watching Martha's Sewing too. What a great show.

I hope you find a good machine at a bargain.

I didn't buy an embroidery machine. I don't feel like I'd use that feature enough to justify the cost.

I'm 62 & have been sewing my own clothes since Jr. High, but I'm not interested in doing that anymore. I recently finished a quilt that has a some fabric in it from a maternity top I made for myself!!! There was fabric in it from clothes I made for me, my daughter & her kids. Naturally, my daughter wants one, so that's my new project.

With the walking foot from Sheba, you're in business! How nice of her. Happy sewing!