Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
clergychick

New to Sewing Forum -- some questions

clergychick
14 years ago

Hi seamsters! I've been hanging out in the kitchen forum for a few months and decided to check out the other forums yesterday. I was thrilled to see there was a sewing forum because I love to sew and it's great to find a place for questions or to help others with their questions.

My first questions are about the workings of the forum. At the top it says "please DO NOT try to upload samples because they will...bring down the whole site." What does that mean? I see there are pictures in posts, so obviously that isn't it. So what are "samples"? (I sure wouldn't want to be responsible for bringing the site down unintentionally!)

Sewing I know -- computers: not so much. So I have some trouble understanding the directions about posting pictures. When I tried in the "test forum" to link to pics from my Facebook page, it worked for me -- but I wonder if it will work for others who are not "friended" by me, or on Facebook themselves. Do I have to have my pics with a webhost such as snapfish or something? Can I just put a jpeg into my post without putting it online?

I really appreciate your time and patience, and look forward to becoming a part of this community. --Amy

Comments (14)

• oilpainter
    14 years ago

Hi clergychick:
    Welcome to the sewing forum.

To post pictures--First get a photobucket account--it's free. Follow their directions to UPLOAD your pictures to photobucket. In Photobucket--under the pictures you will see a bunch of URL's--places you can click to post pictures on different websites. Click on the one that says HTML. It will automaticly copy. Go to where you want to post the picture. Right click and choose paste. It will have a bunch of writing but will show up as a picture when you submit.

To post a clickable website. Post the link in the place below your post where it says URL and give it a name

• msmeow
    14 years ago

Amy, from looking at the top of a couple of other forums, I would say that comment about uploading samples is a joke.

Welcome! Are you the clergy or a clergy spouse? I have a good friend who decided to attend seminary at age 48. She's serving her first church as internship before being ordained.

Donna

• clergychick
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Thanks for the replies and welcome! Oilpainter, your explanation is just what I needed!

Donna, I can't believe I didn't get that JOKE!!! A "DUH" moment for me!

I am the clergy -- a Presbyterian minister. I went to seminary straight out of college (26 years ago) but I was the exception even then. Many more folks were second career. I sewed my way thru seminary working for a "mom and pop" company that makes liturgical goods: "Theological Threads". I learned a lot from them.

Much of what I am sewing now is church-related: I'm working on a cloth and accent piece for the communion table that our confirmation class "designed" -- they will be confirmed on Sunday, so I have to get them finished!

It's nice to have the opportunity to introduce myself -- is there a thread of the past that would tell me about others in this community?

--Amy

• oilpainter
    14 years ago

Amy--not that I know of, but stick around and you'll soon get to know us. Myrna

• budster
    14 years ago

Welcome! We are a friendly and helpful group of sewing people. Should you have anything we can help you with, post a question. There are many levels of experience here and are always available to help - although some questions may take longer to answer. I have found many wonderful friendships on the site and hope you enjoy joining in the fun. Budster.

• dody40
    14 years ago

I am new here also, and I cannot believe how much help I have received already.

Welcome.

dody

• sheesh
    14 years ago

It's a good group, Amy. Welcome.

Sherry

• msmeow
    14 years ago

Amy, my friend is becoming a United Methodist pastor. I have thought a lot about making her a stole for her ordination...I just don't really know where to start! Let me know if you have any tips for me!

Donna

• clergychick
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Donna,
    Here is a stole I made last Spring for our new senior pastor (I am the associate pastor). I guess you'd call it a combination of applique and quilting techniques. The stained glass on the right side is like what is in our sanctuary.
    I'd love to help you out, but we should probably start a new thread or do it by email! You can write me at amyswparker@juno.com.

• Dash2
    14 years ago

I love the stole, Amy. Beautiful work.

• clergychick
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Thanks, yarnlover. The underside of the stole is signed by the members of the congregation: including one dear saint who died the day before the new minister started. As with many of my creations, it was 99% inspiration, 1% perspiration -- at least that's what I tell most folks -- you all probably know better ;)

• msmeow
    14 years ago

Well, Amy - I posted yesterday but it must have gone to cyberspace. The stole is beautiful! I've heard of a website called Holy Needle where I can probably get a basic pattern. I have a few ideas in my head...just need to get them out! LOL My friend is very "petite" (short) like me, so I think commercial stoles would be very long on her, which is why I'd like to make one for her.

Donna

• clergychick
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Donna,
    I bet she would appreciate one that you made for her much more than anything commercial, anyway!

If you're looking for some inspiration, check out the website below. I attended their academy -- that's where the stole pictured above was "born". You will see a "family resemblance".

Thanks for the compliments. Let me know if I could be of help in your project.

--Amy

Here is a link that might be useful: In Stitches Liturgical Arts

• kathyg_in_mi
    14 years ago

Welcome to Garden Web. There are so many great sites here and wonderful people too.
    Kathy G in MI

Sponsored
Innovative & Creative General Contractors Servicing Franklin County