Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
patgirls

JANOME 6300- thread question

patgirls
12 years ago

I just purchased this machine for my studio/workroom. If anyone else owns one, please tell me if you use regular tube-wound threads, like Gutermann. The dealer who delivered it and set it up recommended ONLY using cones. I have several hundred tubed colors that I surely don't want to replace with $13 cones! I use Maxilock cones for my serger, but they seem less strong than the Gutermann threads.

Comments (7)

• jomuir
    12 years ago

Maxilock IS weaker than reg. thread. Serger thread is lighter weight to account for the 3-4 threads that are used in serging. I've always felt that serger thread isn't great for regular sewing machine use. I'm surprised that your dealer recommended it to you. I found an interesting response to this question on yahoo questions

http://answers.yahoo.com/question/index?qid=20080526101456AAlGvo0

Here's another response where they all say they use it successfully

http://answers.yahoo.com/question/index?qid=20080526101456AAlGvo0

Joann fabrics website says maxilock can be a serger and sewing machine thread...but the spool is clearly marked serger thread.
    http://www.joann.com/maxilock-cone-thread-3000-yards/prd26558/

Did he say specifically not to use Gutermann? I know C&C spools are wound differently than Gutermann threads, hopefully that's what he was referring to? There are a couple of Janome groups out there on yahoo groups but I didn't take the time to join, you could subscribe and probably get a better answer.

Also, Janome has a forum you could try. Probably get the fastest answer there....

Does your new machine have the knee-lift shown in the ads? My Bernina has that and it's just like using an industrial machine, such a nice accessory. Hope you enjoy your new machine, it looks like a nice model.

Here is a link that might be useful: Janome forums

• patgirls
    Original Author
    12 years ago

I wasn't clear: he was saying to use Gutermann thread on cones. I only had a Maxilock cone sitting there so he used that to thread the machine. I never would use that on a clients project other than serging the insides. I sat down with the machine for a few minutes, and threaded it with the Gutermann 1100 yard tube. I would think as long as I put the little cap thing on top of the spool holder, I should be OK. Maybe the tube thread would go spinning up and off at high speeds. I love that knee lift, too! I had a Bernina 30 years ago with one. I like that I can press a button and choose if the needle stays in the fabric or goes to the highest position when you stop pressing the pedal. I have never seen that before. It has a lot of bells and whistles that will take awhile to discover.

• mary_c_gw
    12 years ago

Your dealer is feeding you a load of crap, because he wants you to buy his expensive thread. Or he's just an under-educated salesman - not a sewing machine technician.

I have many machines, from my large industrial Consew, to a Pfaff embroidery machine, to a couple of 1950's Singers, and every single one of them will handle both cross-wound cone thread and straight-wound spool thread. You may need a different thread spool holder for the two different types of thread, but every machine I've ever seen has that option. Usually they are set up for the more common straight-wound standard spools, and one has to purchase a thread cone holder or stand.

And if this machine can't handle standard spools, I'd be demanding an explanation on the order of "I just spent $XXXX on this machine - and it can't HANDLE regular thread?!?!"

Gutterman is great thread, but so are many other brands, including Coates and Clark, Sulky, Madeira...

Honestly, his statement is just plain silly.

• mary_c_gw
    12 years ago

Oh, and I looked up the specifications and manual for the Janome 6300. THEY certainly aren't stating you must use a specific thread!

All it says is that it comes with a vertical spool pin. I use that with both type of threads - cross-wound and straight-wound. Large cones still work better from a thread stand.

• patgirls
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Thanks Maryc. He doesn't sell thread, so that can't be it. I think he probably has a commercial workroom background and only knows giant cones. Whatever, I am happily sewing away using my regular threads.

• jomuir
    12 years ago

the needle-up or down feature sounds nice. I wish mine had that.

maryc, I read in website recently where they were bagging on C&C, but I've sewed most of my projects with, only went to the more expensive in the last few yrs (and still reach for C&C more). I've always had good results with it.

• kathi_mdgd
    12 years ago

I'm the same as jomuir,i've used C&C for over 50 years,i also use guiterman,sulky and a host of others.The only thread i stay away from is that real cheap stuff that they sell 5 and 10 for 1.00.It's a very poor quality,weak and causes a lot of lint in your machine.Enjoy your new machine.

I also have the needle down on mine,but on this one (viking) i don't have the knee lift.did have it on my bernina.
    Kathi