Return to the Sewing Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Removing and attaching jeans buttons

Posted by mary78 (My Page) on
Sun, Mar 9, 08 at 8:43

Hi all,
I have a pair of jeans that have lost one of their two metal fly buttons. I want to remove the other button, so that I can replace them both with two matching buttons (which I've already bought). But I have no idea how to get the remaining button off the jeans! It seems to be made up of two parts that go through the jeans fabric and are somehow bolted together. Short of attacking it with a hammer I can't imagine what to do. Advice would be much appreciated!
Thanks,
Mary78

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Removing and attaching jeans buttons

I know some jeans buttons screw together. I'd try to unscrew by holding the large part with plyers. Otherwise I'd get a small screwdriver and wedge it between a little at a time.

o

A hammer is probably what it will take and the screwdriver suggested above.

o

You could use bolt cutters on the "stem/shank' of the button. That would make it easier to pry it apart if it wont pull through.

Good Luck!

~~Mimi

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Sewing Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here