Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
dee_can1

Sewing machine cleaning (pic)

dee_can1
14 years ago

I'm not sure if this is even possible, but how do you clean the area that is behind the bobbin 'housing' (not sure of the correct name for it)? I can't fit the little brush in there, or I should say I can't sweep the dust out from that area because there isn't enough room to maneuver.

It doesn't look like I should take it apart, either. Or, is taking it apart, what you are supposed to do? Please see photo - I had a hard time getting a clear picture, but I'm talking about behind where the bobbin is. Thanks!

Comments (14)

• sheesh
    14 years ago

A squirt from a can of compressed air would work, like they use for computers.

• msmeow
    14 years ago

Can you get in through the bottom? My Juki machine has a little door on the bottom that gives access to that area. If you don't have a door and can't take the bottom off, maybe you could use long tweezers to pull the fuzz out.

Donna

• dee_can1
    Original Author
    14 years ago

I might give the compressed air a try, but I'm kind of worried about pushing the lint further into the machine, iykwim?

Also, I just looked to see if I can remove the bottom part, but I can't. I took the only removable screw out, and nothing budged.

I really appreciate both of your suggestions - thank you.

• pris
    14 years ago

Have you tried a vacuum?

• mary_c_gw
    14 years ago

Remove the throat plate (also called the needle plate), and you should have access.

• msmarion
    14 years ago

My sewing machine repair man told me many years ago never to use compressed air. Always use a vacuum. I have a bag of small attachments for my small vacuum that work like a charm on the sewing machine and the computer.

• Marilyn Sue McClintock
    14 years ago

Will that piece on the right, I don't recall its name, come out? I am thinking on some of my machines at least, it does.

Sue

• dee_can1
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Pris, yes, I did try using the vacuum - it works great for areas that I can get at, but I don't have an attachment that is small enough to fit into that space. Sounds like I need some small attachments like msmarion has!

As per Mary's advice, I removed the needle plate just a little while ago, and there's something underneath (I don't know what the part name is) that covers the spot I need to get to... I don't think that is removable, unfortunately.

Sue, I wasn't sure what piece on the right you meant, but I just went back and looked and I think I know what you mean. I remember that this piece did move over one time when I was cleaning. I'm not sure if it would allow access to the back where I need to clean. I'll check that out, and let you know.

Thanks!

• dee_can1
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Vacuum cleaner accessory:

+

Good ole duct tape:

+

A bendable drinking straw:

=

Handy-dandy sucking thing-a-ma-jig:

Which worked great at getting in behind that area! Just thought I'd share. : D

• pris
    14 years ago

Very clever dee can. Ain't duct tape wonderful?

• dee_can1
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Thanks Pris. : )

• budster
    14 years ago

I can see you as the star of an informercial! Very clever and I can't wait to try this one out. Budster

• dee_can1
    Original Author
    14 years ago

ha! I'll call it 'Vacuum Wow!' Slices, dices, chops, too. ; ) Yours for just $99.99. : P

Budster, did you ever make your 'This & That' purse? I made mine. Two of them. They look like shaving kits. lol Oh well.

• oilpainter
    14 years ago

mamarion:
    A vacuum is great for the sewing machine but can wreck havoc in a computer. You should never use a vacuum on a computer unless you are just cleaning the outside. My computer tech showed me the damage it can do

Sponsored
Buckeye Basements, Inc.
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars31 Reviews
Central Ohio's Basement Finishing ExpertsBest Of Houzz '13-'21